Heavy Steering

PaulS

The steering on my '02 RX300 is heavy in both directions. I need to use a lot of force to turn the wheel (not easy with 1 or 2 fingers as I would expect). The dealer took a look and told me I need to replace the "lower steering shaft" ($600) because it is starting to seize from the rust. Is this the same thing as the rack?

Also, Is the steering on this vehicle servicable (grease, bushings, etc.) or am I stuck having to replace the entire steering shaft or rack with a new one?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

- Paul

The steering on my '02 RX300 is heavy in both directions. I need to use a lot of force to turn the wheel (not easy with 1 or 2 fingers as I would expect). The dealer took a look and told me I need to replace the "lower steering shaft" ($600) because it is starting to seize from the rust. Is this the same thing as the rack?

Also, Is the steering on this vehicle servicable (grease, bushings, etc.) or am I stuck having to replace the entire steering shaft or rack with a new one?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

- Paul

You might want to take a look yourself and see if it is just the joints on the shaft or if it's something else. If it's just the joints you might want to try spraying some "WD-40" or something similar that will get into there and maybe free it up. Doesn't seem like he would have called it a "lower steering shaft" if it was the rack and pinion and it's hard to imagine how the R&P would get rusty (where it counts). I don't know of any serviceable areas on either of them.

I ended up replacing the lower steering shaft and the wheel turns easily now. The lower steering shaft is about 12" long with a universal joint in the middle of the shaft. It is below the steering wheel and goes through the floor/firewall. Mylexusparts.com has them for $200. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers,

Paul