Multiple Warning Lights

trevenarj

I have a 2005 Lexus 330 that is driven primarily by my wife. Recently, she has noticed that the following warning lights will suddenly illuminate with no audio alarm: BRAKE, ABS, VSC, TRAK OFF and the TIRE PRESSURE indicator. The car seems to operate normally and then the lights will go off. This was infrequent at first, but now seems more to be occuring more often. We have owned the car less than one year and it has about 55K miles. I have added brake fluid, but the level was acceptable. Is this an ABS module going south? Any other ideas? Does anyone know of anyone that rebuilds the modules for this car?

Thanks in advance!

have you checked the Battery?

Not yet. That was my thought because I remember our Sienna van doing crazy things when the battery was dying. Do you suggest that this will go away if I remove and restore the cables, or that the battery is going bad?

This is a common problem on a 2005 RX. It is a faulty brake light switch. There is a TSB on it.

Sorry, but what is a "TSB?"

TSB = "Technical Service Bulletin". Toyota uses the term "Technical Service Information Bulletin" or TSIB.

I seached the TSIB list for the 05 RX in the Chilton online system (usually complete) and I don't see a TSIB for the brake light switch on the 05 RX.

I feel like a "broken record" since I seem to be giving the same advice over and over .... if the problem is not obvious (e.g. a failing battery), take your car to a repair shop or store (Autozone?) that has an ODBI reader and see if there are any stored error codes -- sure beats guessing and blindly replacing parts.

This is a common problem on a 2005 RX. It is a faulty brake light switch. There is a TSB on it.

Sorry, but what is a "TSB?"

TSB = "Technical Service Bulletin". Toyota uses the term "Technical Service Information Bulletin" or TSIB.

I seached the TSIB list for the 05 RX in the Chilton online system (usually complete) and I don't see a TSIB for the brake light switch on the 05 RX.

I feel like a "broken record" since I seem to be giving the same advice over and over .... if the problem is not obvious (e.g. a failing battery), take your car to a repair shop or store (Autozone?) that has an ODBI reader and see if there are any stored error codes -- sure beats guessing and blindly replacing parts.

Thanks. I thought of using the ODBI reader, but assumed that the car's computer stores information for a "check engine soon" warning only. These issues can also generate a code?

Thanks. I thought of using the ODBI reader, but assumed that the car's computer stores information for a "check engine soon" warning only. These issues can also generate a code?

Codes can be stored for other than just engine problems. You might as well see if any codes have been stored. Your RX is very low mileage -- doubtful that anything major has gone bad.

One more time: This is a common problem on 2005 RX. It is the brake light switch. The TSB may be listed as a 2004 but many have had this problem on a 2005 and repaired it with the brake light switch.

mikey, I've checked several TSB/TSIB websites including NHTSA and I can not find one about the brake light switch on either the 2004 or 2005 RX.

Could you please help trevenarj out and 1) upload a scanned copy of the TSB, or 2) supply a link to where it can be viewed online, or 3) supply the TSB/TSIB number and, if you have it, the issue date?

Text from NHTSA website:

Make: LEXUS Model: RX330

Model Year: 2004

Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: NOV 18, 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V558000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH

Potential Number of Units Affected: 183090

This may not apply directly to trevenarj's 2005 but what I am saying is that many 05 owners have reported the exact same problem that he is having and have fixed it with this switch replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
Text from NHTSA website:

This may not apply directly to trevenarj's 2005 but what I am saying is that many 05 owners have reported the exact same problem that he is having and have fixed it with this switch replacement.

Thanks.

I used a computer to read the ABS codes and, sure enough, it is the brake light switch ("stop light switch" on the computer read out). I called the dealer about the TSB. I was under the understanding that this is like a recall and would be repaired at no cost. I was told otherwise; the TSB just means that an improved part has replaced the original. Is that correct?

Text from NHTSA website:

Thanks.

I used a computer to read the ABS codes and, sure enough, it is the brake light switch ("stop light switch" on the computer read out). I called the dealer about the TSB. I was under the understanding that this is like a recall and would be repaired at no cost. I was told otherwise; the TSB just means that an improved part has replaced the original. Is that correct?

I called Lexus and they refused to replace the part since my car is a 2005 and out of warranty. They said it was not a recall campaign, but a replacement for that year model if still under warranty. Sounds like a defective part to me regardless.

Does anyone have a DIY to replace the switch in a 2005? I just ordered one online.

Thanks

Just curious where you ordered the switch from, and how much it cost? I've had the same issue on my 2004 RX330 for several years. About once a month or so, all the lights will come on for no apparent reason. Once the ignition is switched off, the lights clear up, and dont show up again until the next time. I've not bothered with it, since I know its not a real problem. I might take the time and effort to replace the switch, though, if it's not an arm and a leg; and if it's not a huge problem to replace it.

Just curious where you ordered the switch from, and how much it cost? I've had the same issue on my 2004 RX330 for several years. About once a month or so, all the lights will come on for no apparent reason. Once the ignition is switched off, the lights clear up, and dont show up again until the next time. I've not bothered with it, since I know its not a real problem. I might take the time and effort to replace the switch, though, if it's not an arm and a leg; and if it's not a huge problem to replace it.

I bought the switch at Partsgeek.com for about $32. I'm still trying to figure out how to install it. I can see where it is located, but haven't had time to sort out how to get to it.

• 9 months later...

mikey00, you are right on the mark. my 06 rx330 had vsc, abs, brake and tire pressure lights on. took it to the dealer and was told it needs a new brake light switch. thanks much.

Text from NHTSA website:

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I am having the same problem with a 2003 ES300. From this thread, I will look at the brake light switch before going further. You mentioned that you used a computer to read the ABS codes - can you give some details as to how this is done. I thank you for your help.

Text from NHTSA website:

Thanks.

• Like 1