Is300 Cluster Problems

donkz

I have an '03 IS300 and the cluster is giving me a weird problem. It was intermittent before but now it seems to be a hard fault. The tachometer is reading zero, the brake light warning is on as is the fuel pressure light, and I also have nothing registering on the fuel consumption guage. It seems to have no effect on the car, traction control, cruise, speedo, all seem to be alright. I went through the wiring diagrams and could not find anything common with all 4 of these items. Please help if anyone knows! Thank you!

Those are a strange combo of issues. At this point I would have more questions than answers though. Like, your IS300 has a fuel pressure light? :huh: How did you get one of those?

So when you say your tach read zero, you mean it's not working at all? That is a seperate issue. You have a speed sensor off the Transmission for that. The brake light warning system is telling you that one of your lights are out. Have you gone around and checked to make sure all the lights are working properly? That warning doesn't have any effect on the ECU safety protocol, so traction control and cruise would all not be effected.

Those are a strange combo of issues. At this point I would have more questions than answers though. Like, your IS300 has a fuel pressure light? :huh: How did you get one of those?

So when you say your tach read zero, you mean it's not working at all? That is a seperate issue. You have a speed sensor off the Transmission for that. The brake light warning system is telling you that one of your lights are out. Have you gone around and checked to make sure all the lights are working properly? That warning doesn't have any effect on the ECU safety protocol, so traction control and cruise would all not be effected.

Sorry, I meant oil pressure, poor proof read on my part. All of these problems are intermittent but they all happen at the same time, none of them occur individually. All of the lights work, and the oil level is fine.

I think you may have a tach issue that is creating the other light sensor issues. When the tach fails, ie: shorting out, going bad, whatever, you may be getting a voltage drain or flux that may be effecting some of the circuits next to it. which could be the two other issues that appear at the same time. There is also a wire harness that runs along the trunk that the factory was known to have wrapped way to tight and I have seen some strange issue spawn from that. You might want to check that out as well. But in any case, I think this isn't something that we would be able to diagnose and fix over the forums. You should probably take it in and show them what is going on. It might be worth tracking down and just getting it fixed before it starts to decay into other issues as well.

• 9 months later...

I think you may have a tach issue that is creating the other light sensor issues. When the tach fails, ie: shorting out, going bad, whatever, you may be getting a voltage drain or flux that may be effecting some of the circuits next to it. which could be the two other issues that appear at the same time. There is also a wire harness that runs along the trunk that the factory was known to have wrapped way to tight and I have seen some strange issue spawn from that. You might want to check that out as well. But in any case, I think this isn't something that we would be able to diagnose and fix over the forums. You should probably take it in and show them what is going on. It might be worth tracking down and just getting it fixed before it starts to decay into other issues as well.

I have the same problem!

You could find the fault?

• 6 years later...

I recently purchased a 2002 IS300 Sport Cross.  Everything was working on the car until this morning.  The tachometer, MPG not working and the oil level light, and rear bulb indicator were on.  What changed.  Well here is what I found out.  I had plugged in a USB phone charger to my cigarette lighter to charge my phone and started having the issues.  Take out the USB phone charger and all issues go away.  Weird but I can replicate the issue.  

How does the cigar lighter have anything to do with the tachometer or any of these other dash issues?  

The same phone charger plugs into the rear outlet (IS300 SportsCross) with no issues.  My dash outlet is loose and not attached.  After reading the top comments I am wondering is my cigarette lighter is not grounded properly and all these systems (Tach, MPG, indicator lights) share a common ground and if an item is not ground properly, it creates this phenomenon.  Might be very hard to chase this issue down.