Power Door Lock Actuator On 98 Ls

fblonk

Hi,

I have a 1998 LS with a Driver's door lock problem. The motor inside the actuator is worn (brushes) and inop. I dissasembled the door, removed the lock assembly from the door, dissasembled the lock and opened the actuator. I have read the posts about the GS door lock problem and rebuilding the actuator by replacing the motor. I ordered the motor (Mabuchi FC 280PT - 22125) and they are not the same. I went as far as opening the motors and trying to swap brushes (in the problem motor they are almost gone) but no dice. They are not the same. I have scoured the internet for info, or a motor number (no markings on the case of the problem motor). I know that I am going pretty deep, but the part is over $300 from lexus, and the motor should be under $10. Big difference, I don't mind tooling to fix the rare problem that I have with this car.

I should have taken a picture, but didn't think of this until all reassembled.

The differences in the motor are as follows:

The problem motor

connections are soldered, (no biggie)

but the motor has posts to solder to

The ordered motor

Modular (plug type receptical in motor case that plugs into motor, motor side like an a/c recepticle)

Brushes are different in shape and length

Shaft is thicker in problem motor

Problem motor has drive gear pressed on

I believe that the motor itself is fine, and a new set of brushes will fix it.

Any one who has gone this far and found motors or a place to find brushes please reply. Would an R/C shop be able to help?

Also if you know that motors are the same in all 4 doors, let me know.

I would like to avoid a boneyard motor or lock assembly, you never know how long they will last, but this may be my only option. If the motor in the actuators are the same, I would grab a rear door actuator motor as it will have less use (1 push on fob, vs 2 pushes on fob when unlocking).

Thanks,

Fblonk

(I also posted this on ls 430 & 460 forum)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but those are the power window motors. The Power lock actuator is actually built into the latch where the striker hits on each door.

Thanks,

fblonk

Thank you for the reply, but still not what I am looking for.

In my first post I stated the the lock actuator/locking plate assemby is $300 from my new part source. I had done this side of the research before I posted.

The entire assembly can be broken down, I can actually remove the small d.c. motor (the brushes are burnt) in the door lock power actuator.

I have seen this done on a Lexus LX:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruiser...eplacement.html

and here is a posting for the same procedure for a GS.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...uators-diy.html

I am trying to accomplish the same thing with an LS. No one will sell the actuator assembly by itself as it cannot be removed (2 pieces of molded plastic screwed together but base is part of the whole latch/lock assembly) , but can be opened and the motor removed.

I need to know if:

I can puchase the d.c. motor from a 3rd party vendor (same as the two posts LX & GS) OR:

if the motors are all the same in all 4 doors of the LS. I can get my hands on a back door assembly (this is almost not worth the trouble from this person who has it) but if it will work, I will bite the bullet.

I can get to a salvage yard and get one, but nearest LS in a boneyard is an hour away with no guarantee that the part will be there.

I would rather puchase a new d.c. motor anyway, it is a better fix.

I did purchase the motor as seen in the two posts, but they are different (see my initial post)

Any help appreciated. If I find the motor somehow, I will post a step - by - step pictorial here on the fix and where to get parts. I know I cannot be the only person with an LS with a dead door lock actuator.

Thanks,

Fblonk

Thank you for the reply, but still not what I am looking for.

In my first post I stated the the lock actuator/locking plate assemby is $300 from my new part source. I had done this side of the research before I posted.

The entire assembly can be broken down, I can actually remove the small d.c. motor (the brushes are burnt) in the door lock power actuator.

I have seen this done on a Lexus LX:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruiser...eplacement.html

and here is a posting for the same procedure for a GS.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...uators-diy.html

I am trying to accomplish the same thing with an LS. No one will sell the actuator assembly by itself as it cannot be removed (2 pieces of molded plastic screwed together but base is part of the whole latch/lock assembly) , but can be opened and the motor removed.

I need to know if:

I can puchase the d.c. motor from a 3rd party vendor (same as the two posts LX & GS) OR:

if the motors are all the same in all 4 doors of the LS. I can get my hands on a back door assembly (this is almost not worth the trouble from this person who has it) but if it will work, I will bite the bullet.

I can get to a salvage yard and get one, but nearest LS in a boneyard is an hour away with no guarantee that the part will be there.

I would rather puchase a new d.c. motor anyway, it is a better fix.

I did purchase the motor as seen in the two posts, but they are different (see my initial post)

Any help appreciated. If I find the motor somehow, I will post a step - by - step pictorial here on the fix and where to get parts. I know I cannot be the only person with an LS with a dead door lock actuator.

Thanks,

Fblonk

The same sort of thing happened on my 99LS and I refused to go for the $300 part as the rest of the lock assembly was just fine.

I purchased from eBay, a universal power lock actuator kit for $7.99 (including shipping!) and after about an hours time of adjusting and mounting in the door (drilled two small holes in the skin to mount) we were up and running even better than new, and now the unit is easily accessible should it need to be replaced which I could now do in about 10 minutes. I bought a spare actuator (same type of unit) off eBay for $5.99 should I ever need it! :D