1997 Shock Options

97CoachEdition

The tabs were discontinued after the gen 1 LS400. On the 95-00 LS, grab the seat cushion at the leading edge were it meets the carpet and pull up forcefully. The first time I did it on my 00 LS, I had to use a metal pry bar. It will be mostly obvious how to remove the seat back if you need to -- you'll see the bolts. A few of the bolts are hidden behind leather flaps, held in place by velcro, behind the head rests and, if I remember correctly, behind the armrest. I seem to have to slide the rear seat back upward before it can be removed.

If you want an OEM ride, get OEM shocks. Are you sure your shocks are worn out? I know of LS400's with waaay over 200,000 miles on them that are still on their original shocks.

thanks for the fast reply, and the rear seat info. actually i dont know if the shocks are bad, i just assumed they needed to be replaced. my ride feels old, and tired, what are my other option to replace first?

thanks

bj

The tabs were discontinued after the gen 1 LS400. On the 95-00 LS, grab the seat cushion at the leading edge were it meets the carpet and pull up forcefully. The first time I did it on my 00 LS, I had to use a metal pry bar. It will be mostly obvious how to remove the seat back if you need to -- you'll see the bolts. A few of the bolts are hidden behind leather flaps, held in place by velcro, behind the head rests and, if I remember correctly, behind the armrest. I seem to have to slide the rear seat back upward before it can be removed.

If you want an OEM ride, get OEM shocks. Are you sure your shocks are worn out? I know of LS400's with waaay over 200,000 miles on them that are still on their original shocks.

thanks for the fast reply, and the rear seat info. actually i dont know if the shocks are bad, i just assumed they needed to be replaced. my ride feels old, and tired, what are my other option to replace first?

thanks

bj

You might try having your car aligned by a professional -- from my experience, they are the first to spot suspension component wear issues. I'm not one to just start replacing stuff -- that can get expensive. Have you had your car a long time or know your car's maintenance history and what, if any, suspension components have already been replaced?

LS shocks shouldn't be bad at 150k unless it's been lowered.

Remember the LS isn't a sports car like a 300Z ;) The ride you may think of as "tired and old" maybe simply just be luxurious and supple :cheers:

LS shocks shouldn't be bad at 150k unless it's been lowered.

Remember the LS isn't a sports car like a 300Z ;) The ride you may think of as "tired and old" maybe simply just be luxurious and supple :cheers:

One of my 97's has the original 4 shocks at 243k, and the other had front shocks replaced at Lexus at 190k, it has 235k now and both ride and handle the same to me and I am 75 and like things smooth and quite... but while I drive 70-90 hwy, I dont stop, turn, or take off fast...