1994 Lexus Ls 400 Radio Replacement

Larry W

Thinking about upgrading to a better unit. Is there a replacement cd radio that doesn't look like an "after market" unit. Something that complements the dash and doesn't look like it was made to fit. I currently have a factory am/fm cassette (my boys keep asking me "what a cassette is?"-last month it was, "what is a record?"). I remember making a Pioneer in dash unit fit my 69 Road Runner. It sounded great, but the "adapter" kit was rather lame. Come to think of it, the car was only $3000 new, so I guess the manufacturers didn't think it mattered to us kids buying this car. Anyway, some recommendations would be helpful. I know there are companies that re-do stock looking radios with 21st technology. Any advice? Any pictures of your installation? Pricing?

It all depends on what type of installation you are looking for.

If you just want to convert to a single DIN radio/cd player you can buy the necessary mounting conversion kits off ebay.com for around $15.00.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

This will give you 4 channels ( 2 front 2 rear) but no subwoofer drive, to get the sub operational will require another separate amplifier.

You cannot connect the existing trunk mounted CD changer to an after market system as the are dedicated units.

If you plan to do the job yourself you will need to have some degree of electronic knowledge.

This is my install with the 2nd picture showing the sub amp mounted where the original CD changer was located.

Untitled_0019_0001.jpg

subamp002.jpg

It all depends on what type of installation you are looking for.

If you just want to convert to a single DIN radio/cd player you can buy the necessary mounting conversion kits off ebay.com for around $15.00.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

This will give you 4 channels ( 2 front 2 rear) but no subwoofer drive, to get the sub operational will require another separate amplifier.

You cannot connect the existing trunk mounted CD changer to an after market system as the are dedicated units.

If you plan to do the job yourself you will need to have some degree of electronic knowledge.

This is my install with the 2nd picture showing the sub amp mounted where the original CD changer was located.

Untitled_0019_0001.jpg

subamp002.jpg

Steve:

I guess I'll check the local dealers for a unit that might complement the dash arrangement. Thanks for the reply. I was getting ready to ask you why your controls are reversed from mine than I realized your car is in the UK. Thanks again.

The factory Nakamichi in my '94 died also. I would consider that a good quality double DIN head unit would be your best choice. ALL retailers, however, have informed me that a DD WILL NOT FIT. Puzzling, because for grins I bought a Metra DD install kit, #95-8156, specific for the gen-1 cars. I'm a bit off-put by it's plastic construction, but I think it will work. The concern is how much depth there is into the console. The Clarion NX409 CD/satnav unit I like is 7" deep. It appears that the factory unit is bigger than a DD aftermarket, but I don't have it out of the console yet. Anyone know the depth of the console?