2000 Lexus Ls400 Plat. Edition, Navigaion

Plat.Lexus

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to but the original Lexus navigation system and take out the fan and the radio panels and plug in the screen and all. I dont have the nakamichi stereo. Will my lexus still be the same with it? Please let me know.

Thank You

Maybe the forum navigation switch expert dcfish will respond.

In the mean time, I can tell you that the 98-00 LS400 navigation is poor comparied with almost any inexpensive portable navigation device that can be purchased today.

The last map update for the 98-00 navigation system was way back in 2004 and it does not appear that there are going to be any more updates. Plus, the 98-00 navigation system's harddrive is only 20 megabytes -- about the size of a typical computer harddrive from the early 1980s. The number of POI's and coverage area is small compared to newer navigation devices.

Your 00 LS does not have the wiring harness to support the 98-00 navigation system including the harness that extends into the trunk to mount the navigation ECU in its place under the removable floor on the right side of the trunk.

I have never seen anyone confirm that the HVAC connectors on the back of the navigation unit are the same as the connectors on the back of the HVAC control module in a non-nav 98-00 LS. I suspect that they are since the ones on the 98-00 GS are the same.

The only good news I have for you is that my repair manuals show that the audio system amp (under the front passenger seat) is the same for the standard Pioneer system and the navigation system.

I guess anything can be done with enough time and money.

The solution I went with in our 00 LS and 98 Camry was to mount portable navigation devices on brackets and wire them into the accessory circuit so they automatically turn on and off with the ignition switch ... photos and install information are here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...m&album=131

Another option is to buy an aftermarket double DIN faceplate/bracket install kit and install an in-dash aftermarket double-DIN navigation into it. A ClubLexus forum member even moved his HVAC control below his new aftermarket double-DIN navigation to raise the level of the screen to make it easier to see. An aftermarket in-dash nav install can get somewhat expensive -- usually at least $1,000.

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to but the original Lexus navigation system and take out the fan and the radio panels and plug in the screen and all. I dont have the nakamichi stereo. Will my lexus still be the same with it? Please let me know.

Thank You

I will look into this for you, EM or PM me with your email address, Or just post it here.

I'm sure you can...but you won't want to. Like Jim said, the nav on the 00 LS400 is archaic compared with modern nav systems, its hard drive based and Lexus stopped offering map updates in 2005, so the newest maps you can even buy are 2005...

IMHO you should look at an aftermarket system if you care about functionality at all...