2000 Rx Power Amp Options

sigtauenus

2000 RX 300, factory stereo, cd changer, without navigation system.

I had water damage, details are in this other thread...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=60116

I also am having some other electrical problems that I think are directly related.

Biggest problem I face now is that the radio does not work. I found a troubleshooting guide for the 2003 which seems similar enough in design that the steps still work. The issue is that the radio turns on, and the cd changer turns on and operates, but no noise whatsoever comes out of any speaker.

I tried the cassette deck, checked both fuses, and have power on both the battery and ACC/ON wires coming into the power amp with my test light. I was not able to get any indication on the speaker feeds going into the amp or coming out, nor was there anything from the amp to the sub. I read on another thread that I will not pick up test indications on the speaker wires, although I'm not sure why unless it has to do with having to go from the + to the - on each speaker vice testing from speaker + to vehicle ground. There was a step in the troubleshooting that said to test the +B to ground, but I couldn't find anything that said what the +B circuit was or what wire it was on the connector, unless it means + battery which did test good. The next step in the troubleshooting was to check the power into the radio, but I did not pull the radio from the dash to check the battery and ACC power in to the radio, nor do I have a wiring diagram that tells me that the power to the radio is routed directly from the fuse or from the amp. I assume since the radio turns on and operates other than making any noise that it is getting power from the ACC side, so I'm pretty sure it is the amp that is bad.

I found dried water stains and bits of rust on the amp, which contributed to my assessment is that the amp is damaged.

I called the local dealer for a price on the amp, and was told $668 and it has to be special ordered. The first question he asked was, "was there water damage to the car?" It would seem that this is a common occurrence that when there is water damage the amp goes out.

The only number that makes sense on the amp is Pioneer 86100-48020, but the dealer said that number did not come up and he had to look it up via type of car.

Google cache has about 5 old ebay listings showing 86100-48020 and it appears that they sold anywhere from $75-100.

Does anybody know the correct Toyota/Lexus part number for the amp, as that would help tracking down used replacements.

What are my options for an aftermarket amp and how do I go about wiring it in? Is it as simple as cutting off the factory connector and splicing in all the speaker and power leads? Does anybody have any recommendations for an amp that will work well for this application?

I am ok with using used parts as long as they work, and I'm ok with using an aftermarket amp that is on par with the factory amp.

Thanks in advance for any input.

In absence of any leads for an amp from any source other than the dealer, would it work to tie each respective speaker wire together and bypass the amp? I'm not sure how much power out the head unit has, but at least this would give me some speaker volume until I figure out what to do with the amp. Would this work or is the head unit too underpowered to drive the speakers directly?

In absence of any leads for an amp from any source other than the dealer, would it work to tie each respective speaker wire together and bypass the amp? I'm not sure how much power out the head unit has, but at least this would give me some speaker volume until I figure out what to do with the amp. Would this work or is the head unit too underpowered to drive the speakers directly?

I can't answer your question except that I doubt you would get much volume if any, the headunit probably only has a preamp in it.

Have you tried Crutchfield? They have a large array of aftermarket amps ranging from $80 to $1500; I have always found them to be helpful (although I've never bought an amp like this from them); I would open a chat with them to ask which would be the most direct replacement for the OEM amp.

(I have no affiliation with them, aside from being a satisfied customer).

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used Crutchfield for several of my older cars upgrading stereos but didn't consider them for the Lexus because the factory stereo is pretty difficult to change out the way it is built in with a/c controls and what-not. I talked to the Crutchfield customer service and explained what was going on, and the guy said he'd love to sell me an amp but doesn't think he has anything that will really work well with the system. He recommended picking up a factory amp used or sucking it up and buying one from the dealer.

I actually don't mind buying it from the dealer, but on the off chance that its really not the amp that is the problem, I'd rather make a $100 mistake than a $650 mistake since electronic parts are usually not returnable.

2000 RX 300, factory stereo, cd changer, without navigation system.

I had water damage, details are in this other thread...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=60116

I also am having some other electrical problems that I think are directly related.

Biggest problem I face now is that the radio does not work. I found a troubleshooting guide for the 2003 which seems similar enough in design that the steps still work. The issue is that the radio turns on, and the cd changer turns on and operates, but no noise whatsoever comes out of any speaker.

I tried the cassette deck, checked both fuses, and have power on both the battery and ACC/ON wires coming into the power amp with my test light. I was not able to get any indication on the speaker feeds going into the amp or coming out, nor was there anything from the amp to the sub. I read on another thread that I will not pick up test indications on the speaker wires, although I'm not sure why unless it has to do with having to go from the + to the - on each speaker vice testing from speaker + to vehicle ground. There was a step in the troubleshooting that said to test the +B to ground, but I couldn't find anything that said what the +B circuit was or what wire it was on the connector, unless it means + battery which did test good. The next step in the troubleshooting was to check the power into the radio, but I did not pull the radio from the dash to check the battery and ACC power in to the radio, nor do I have a wiring diagram that tells me that the power to the radio is routed directly from the fuse or from the amp. I assume since the radio turns on and operates other than making any noise that it is getting power from the ACC side, so I'm pretty sure it is the amp that is bad.

I found dried water stains and bits of rust on the amp, which contributed to my assessment is that the amp is damaged.

I called the local dealer for a price on the amp, and was told $668 and it has to be special ordered. The first question he asked was, "was there water damage to the car?" It would seem that this is a common occurrence that when there is water damage the amp goes out.

The only number that makes sense on the amp is Pioneer 86100-48020, but the dealer said that number did not come up and he had to look it up via type of car.

Google cache has about 5 old ebay listings showing 86100-48020 and it appears that they sold anywhere from $75-100.

Does anybody know the correct Toyota/Lexus part number for the amp, as that would help tracking down used replacements.

What are my options for an aftermarket amp and how do I go about wiring it in? Is it as simple as cutting off the factory connector and splicing in all the speaker and power leads? Does anybody have any recommendations for an amp that will work well for this application?

I am ok with using used parts as long as they work, and I'm ok with using an aftermarket amp that is on par with the factory amp.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Just came across this thread, I will look to see if I have an amp for you if interested. PM or EM me.