Rear Hatch Handle

SRX

Oops, posted under ES Forum this morning by mistake. Sorry.

This morning, I could not open the rear hatch of my 2000 RX300. The doors and hatch are unlocked. As I pulled the handle to open the rear hatch, I heard something fall inside the rear hatch (presuming it was the mechanical connection to the handle which allows the hatch to be opened). There is now nothing connected to the rear hatch handle.

Have any of you experienced this? Did you repair it yourself (any helpful hints on "how to" would be appreciated) or have a dealership do the repair. A ballpark figure of what the dealership charged for your repair would be helpful. Looks to me as if I could get to this and repair the problem by pulling the carpeted panel off the inside of the rear hatch.

Looking forward to your guidance. Thanks!

I can say it not to hard to get in there. The door being closed complicates it a little .From inside the car you need to reomve the lower carpeted panel on the hatch. Its basicaly held on by being slipped under the panel above it. The bottom and sides are held on by the standard Door panel (ball in socket snap out thing..about 8). Even if you can get only partially released, you probaly can reach in, feel your way and find a cable you yank on. Once realeased you can get the whole panel out easily and, and figure it out.

Regards, PK

I can say it not to hard to get in there. The door being closed complicates it a little .From inside the car you need to reomve the lower carpeted panel on the hatch. Its basicaly held on by being slipped under the panel above it. The bottom and sides are held on by the standard Door panel (ball in socket snap out thing..about 8). Even if you can get only partially released, you probaly can reach in, feel your way and find a cable you yank on. Once realeased you can get the whole panel out easily and, and figure it out.

Regards, PK

Thanks for your response to my post! I have both interior panels off and am figuring out what I need to remove to get to the handle. The lock has been removed from the painted trim piece above the license dealers refer to as the garnish. Two dealerships informed me the garnish is frequently cracked in the process of taking it off resulting in needing to purchase a new garnish ... $218.00 ... so I am trying to avoid that cost by being VERY careful. Once the garnish is removed, I can finally get to the handle. I'll let you and others know how this process goes and if the "surgery" is successful.