Rear Audio System - (not Dvd) - Wireless ?

chriskris

I have a 2006 GX with a rear audio system. (not a DVD system), rather, one with a wireless remote that uses headphones that are pluged into the same panel where the rear ac controls are located. In the instruction manual, for this model, it mentions the use of wireless headphones. When I called my dealer (120 miles away) he says they do not have any such option unless it has a dvd entertainment system.

My question is, Can I use a wireless headphone with this Rear Audio System as my manual suggests?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

The only mention of Wireless Headphones I see are that they are included with the "DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System (RSES)": http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/GX/2006.html

Pasted from the Online Owner's Manual for 2006 GX470...

xxxxx

xxxxx

REAR SEAT AUDIO SYSTEM

The rear seat audio system is designed for the rear seat passengers to enjoy the audio sound separately between the front seats and the rear seats. The rear seat audio system can be turned on with the rear audio system remote control even if the front audio system is off. When the front audio is turned off, the rear audio system will be turned off simultaneously. The rear passengers can enjoy all the modes (AM and FM radio, cassette tape player and CD player with changer) with the rear seat audio system when a cassette tape and a CD are loaded in the front audio system.

When the same mode is selected on the front and rear audio systems at the same time, the system can be operated on the front audio system. If the radio mode is selected on the front and rear audio systems at the same time, AM and FM modes cannot be changed on the rear seat audio system.

Rear seat audio system remote control

The rear seat audio system can be operated with the rear seat audio system remote control.

To adjust the volume of the headphones, turn the knob. Turn right to increase the volume. Turn left to decrease the volume. The maximum volume depends on the type of headphones.

With some headphone generally available in the market, it may be difficult to catch sound properly. Lexus recommends the use of Lexus genuine headphone.

Please contact your Lexus dealer for further details. Wireless headphone: You can also enjoy the rear seat audio system with a wireless headphone. For details, ask your Lexus dealer.

xxxxx

xxxxx

The above line is clearly referring to the rear-seat audio system and not a DVD entertainment system. So, I would think a wireless headphone would indeed work with this system. However, I can't get a lexus dealer to agree.

Thank you,

Chris

Honestly if you ask me, I would agree with what your dealer is telling you. Unless Lexus has changed the RSAS (rear seat audio system) since 2003, I know that wireless headphones do NOT work with the RSAS, only with the RSES (rear seat entertainment system).

My owner's manual does not have that paragraph regarding the use of wireless headphones for my RSAS

Honestly if you ask me, I would agree with what your dealer is telling you. Unless Lexus has changed the RSAS (rear seat audio system) since 2003, I know that wireless headphones do NOT work with the RSAS, only with the RSES (rear seat entertainment system).

My owner's manual does not have that paragraph regarding the use of wireless headphones for my RSAS

I've found a couple Lexus Part Numbers referencing 2006 Model GX Lexus -- PT296-00035 and most web sites give the following description:

Wireless Headphones allow passengers a comfortable way to enjoy the available Lexus DVD rear-seat entertainment system or rear-seat audio systems. Headphones are equipped with on/off, auto-off, volume control, thick ear/headband padding and are fully adjustable to ensure comfort.

The problem I have is -- they're $75-$100 dollars and if they don't work, that's good money down the drain...

Hmm.. That's very interesting to know. What I know since I got my GX470 brand new in January 2003 was that the wireless headphones are only for those who have the RSES. Do you have Mark Levinson audio system?

Hmm.. That's very interesting to know. What I know since I got my GX470 brand new in January 2003 was that the wireless headphones are only for those who have the RSES. Do you have Mark Levinson audio system?

No, I don't have the mark Levison audio system. The system I have did come factory however. My 2006 GX has it. My 2007 GX does not. It's simply refered to as the Rear Audio System. It is controled with an Infer Red remote. Lexus part number 86170-34010. I had to buy one of those too. I'm going to stop in walmart today and read some packages. I'd like to keep the Lexus name, however, if this doesn't work, I'd be wasting money.

I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I don't have the mark Levison audio system. The system I have did come factory however. My 2006 GX has it. My 2007 GX does not. It's simply refered to as the Rear Audio System. It is controled with an Infer Red remote. Lexus part number 86170-34010. I had to buy one of those too. I'm going to stop in walmart today and read some packages. I'd like to keep the Lexus name, however, if this doesn't work, I'd be wasting money.

I'll let you know.

UPDATE -- YES, I AQUIRED AN INEXPENSIVE PAIR OF IR WIRELESS HEADPHONES, AND THEY WORK LIKE A CHARM. IF YOU HAVE A REAR AUDIO SYSTEM (NOT A dvd, AS WE KNOW THE dvd HAS WIRELESS CAPABILITIES.) BUT RATHER JUST THE RSAS, THEN YOU DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO USE IR WIRESLESS HEADPHONES. I purcahsed mine on ebay. $36 including shipping. I ordered a pair of Lexus ones for $90 however, the order was cancelled due to the product not being available. I'm thankful for that as the $36 work great. I did not find a set at my local walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll let you know.

UPDATE -- YES, I AQUIRED AN INEXPENSIVE PAIR OF IR WIRELESS HEADPHONES, AND THEY WORK LIKE A CHARM. IF YOU HAVE A REAR AUDIO SYSTEM (NOT A dvd, AS WE KNOW THE dvd HAS WIRELESS CAPABILITIES.) BUT RATHER JUST THE RSAS, THEN YOU DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO USE IR WIRESLESS HEADPHONES. I purcahsed mine on ebay. $36 including shipping. I ordered a pair of Lexus ones for $90 however, the order was cancelled due to the product not being available. I'm thankful for that as the $36 work great. I did not find a set at my local walmart.

Can you post the name and part number?

I'll let you know.

Can you post the name and part number?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you search the item number in ebay, you'll be taken to the one I purchased. It works flawlessly.

Seller info

jauga82 ( 8348) 99.7%

item number: 380145616181

Headphones are a ZHIR20 part number

Sorry again, I'm late in posting a reply.