A Couple Of Questions (nothing Major)

cappakazi

Hey there, i own a Celsior 1990 model i wanted to ask people who own the ls400 what some buttons translate too.

There is a red button where the auto shifter is - what is it?

The other button is a white button on the climate control what is that?

Also i have a button that demists and defogs the passenger side mirror is it supposed to work on the drivers side? if so how do i get it working?

Last question is my boot/trunk release doesnt work no more, all of sudden it just stopped i hear it clicking when i use the lever but no release. How do i fix it is it a relay problem where do i start?

Thanks in advance

I've never seen a U.S. forum member with a Japanese Celsior and only one Canadian forum member with one. Canadians can import older Celsiors but its almost impossible in the U.S.

You might have better luck on the Australian/New Zealand and the U.K. forum where there are lots of imported Celsiors.

Photos would be nice but I'll take a stab anyway.

The red button may be the shift lock override -- at least it is in the same place (except reversed for left hand drive) on the U.S. gen 1 LS400. I see in photos that your red button is labeled in Japanese -- got any friends who speak Japanese?

I don't see a white button in the photos I have of the HVAC controls in the early Celsior. My understanding is that there were several HVAC systems available in Celsiors -- e.g. with or without rear air conditioning. Only one HVAC system was available on the U.S. LS400 and it did not have the rear A/C and it did not have a white button.

The HVAC controls are way different on a Celsior than on a U.S. LS400 -- different placement of buttons and additional functions on the Celsior.

On a U.S. LS400 the same button defogs both outside mirrors. Your problem may be a defective heating element in the mirror. There is likely a diagnostic procedure in the repair manuals for your car -- maybe similar to the procedures in the manuals for a 1990 right hand drive LS400.

If you hear a click when you use the trunk release, you might remove the trunk lid trim and see if something to do with the electric release has broken.

I have to agree with LS4001990 the Celsiors are somewhat different ( mine is a 1994 model so different to yours)

The red button is the shift lock button it allows you to move the transmission shift with the engine off and your foot off the brake pedal.

Press the button and you can then move the shift lever ( think it's mainly for servicing or if you break down and the car wont start and needs to be moved into neutral to allow it to be transported)

I don't have a white button on the AC controls so cannot help there.

Both mirrors should have the heating/defrost function and also be electrically folding.

As for the trunk/boot release I would 1st check the left hand trunk hinge wiring loon for damaged or broken wires it causes many other problems too.

Just do a "trunk hinge wiring" search.

Also make sure the key lock near the trunk and fuel flap release buttons has not been put in the locked position as it disables the trunk release if it has insert your ignition key and turn to release it.

You could also try www.soarercentral.com this is an Australian based forum which has a dedicated Celsior section.

Heres the pic of the buttons

2e188dj.jpg

Also i fixed the boot/trunk release problem it was a broken black wire in the harness in boot like advised above so thanks for that.

Got to work on the side mirrors demisting/heaters now theres not much on the net about it. drivers side doesnt work and passenger just squeels.

Its good when you fix those little annoying things

So thanks for your help

Also the white button im reffering to is the one under the a/c button which is black with white writing.

The same button on UK spec RHD models is the "Convenient rear extra flow button". My UK/Europe LS400 owners manual says "Press in the convenient rear extra flow button to increase air flow volume to rear seats. Press the button again to turn it off. This button only operates when the air flow is at face level."

There is likely a second Rear Extra Flow button in the back seat area between the rear cigarette lighter and the air vent open/close dial.

Only right hand drive cars have the Rear Extra Flow buttons.

Haha finally i know thanks for that, i wonder why US models dont come with them? Thanks btw

Ive got a new question for you guys

I took my car to the mechanic and got my gearbox looked at as there was a strange thudding noise coming from it and now its stopped with a eninge light and trc off light permanantly on. All they said it wasnt the g/box and they checked the codes and it came up with codes 51 and 52.

Well he said 51 is a (ABS Code) is Pump Motor or relay circuit fault what should i do or start with this problem (i didnt even know my car had ABS)

and as for 52 he had no idea but i chacked for a list of codes it says the knock sensor is this correct? i suppose there is nothing i can do about that one

Any info would be great again. Thanks

I could have missed it in my six years here but I don't remember threads about diagnosing ABS problems.

It might be good to get a set of official Lexus repair manuals for your car. If you can't get an English version of 1990 Celsior manuals, get a set of manuals for a 1990 Aussie or UK spec LS400. I've noticed on the UK forum that Celsior owners can have a difficult time getting their cars repaired since there are a number of differences from UK LS400s.

The repair manual set for my 2000 LS400 has 59 pages dedicated to troubleshooting ABS problems and some of the procedures in those 59 pages point to diagnostic procedures in other sections of the manual set.

I can tell you some of the diagnostic procedure for a code 51 (ABS) for a 2000 LS400 but it might be different for your car.

PREPRARATION:

Disconnect brake actuator connector.

CHECK:

Connect positive lead to BM terminal and negative lead to GND terminal of the brake actuator connector, check that the pump motor is operated.

OK:

The running sold of the pump motor should be heard.

OK:

Check for open circuit in harness and connector between ABS motor relay, brake actuator and ECU (See page IN-32).

NG:

Replace brake actuator.

It is not practical for me to type in all the other diagnosics or scan all the pages -- the thick repair manuals are very difficult to scan due to the design of my scanner.