Need Advice On 06' Gs300 Tsb

Dear Friends,

I purchased this 2006 Lexus GS300 brand new, and within a few months of driving the vehicle I noticed a small oil leak from the top passenger side of the engine. Since I do most of the maintenance myself in my garage, I noticed this leak during every oil change. The leak is insignificant in terms of loss of oil, but I took the car into the dealer regarding this issue and they told me that there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this model for this very specific reason. They said that the work is covered under warranty up until 70,000 miles, but with the vehicle being so new (at that time) I decided to wait. Well, now there is 64,000 miles on the vehicle and I am pressed to make a decision.

My reluctance is due to the fact that half my engine has to be torn up to make this insignificant fix. They told me that (.pdf of the TSB is attached):

1. Left and Right Timing Covers/Housings have to come off and be resealed.

2. Left and right Cam Shaft Housings have to come off and be resealed.

3. Left and Right Valve Covers/Cam Covers have to come off

My questions are:

1. Will this job screw up my engine more than help the small leak?

2. What other major components need to come off to perform this job? Water Pump, Timing Belt, Fan Belt, etc… ?

3. If you do recommend going forth with this fix, would it be prudent for me to buy an off the shelf Water Pump and other major components (which ones, I do not know – please recommend) which are typically soon to fail and have the dealer replace them for free since the old ones need to come-off during the fix anyway?

4. Or, should I just ride this out till say something major fails and do the fix at my own expense at that later time? This is my first Lexus and I do not know the typical failure times for major components in these cars. From my previous Chevy experience, by 70,000 miles, half the engine had to be replaced ;) .

(I will not hold you guys to any of your answers – I just need your advice) –

Many thanks

Joe

TSIB_EG001_07_GR_FSE_Series_Engine_Oil_Leak.pdf

According to the TSB, the engine has to be completely removed. The TSB states 18 hours labor and the use of special tools. I would most definitely recommend you have this done under warranty. The bill would be several thousand dollars if a dealer performs this service after your warranty expires. If you choose to do it yourself, you'd have to get the special tools and parts. Not to mention the bottle of Tylenol for the headaches.

As for the water pump, that will have to be your decision. If you do it now, expect to pay +/- $200.00 for a Lexus water pump. As you said, there should be no additional labor. Ordinarily, it takes about two hours to change the pump alone on this engine.

According to the TSB, the engine has to be completely removed. The TSB states 18 hours labor and the use of special tools. I would most definitely recommend you have this done under warranty. The bill would be several thousand dollars if a dealer performs this service after your warranty expires. If you choose to do it yourself, you'd have to get the special tools and parts. Not to mention the bottle of Tylenol for the headaches.

As for the water pump, that will have to be your decision. If you do it now, expect to pay +/- $200.00 for a Lexus water pump. As you said, there should be no additional labor. Ordinarily, it takes about two hours to change the pump alone on this engine.

Many thanks for your advice,

Besides the WATER PUMP, Would it be wise to throw in the TIMING BELT and the FAN BELT as well? Anything else that you recommend? I am not highly experienced with motors, and simply do not know what is involved with a repair of this caliber. Do you recommend sticking with Lexus OEM only parts, or is it wise to get quality parts lesewhere?

Regards,

Joe

If the 3GR-FSE engine had a timing belt, it would be wise to change it. This engine has a timing chain. There is no need to replace the chain.

Guy,

A few years ago when I inquired regarding this TSB, the service rep at the dealership told me that this vehicle has a Timing Belt - not a Timing Chain. Obviously, I have very little faith in the Service people/management at the Dealership - their only goal is to make $$$. I do have more faith in the mechanics, but they never really let you speak to them. How do I check whether my engine has a timing chain or a belt?

Many thanks,

Joe