1992 Ls400 Trailer Hitch

BigBuggie

Guys sorry if this one has been done already but Ive done a little research and see 2 different types of hitches for the 90-94 LS.

One is approximately the width of the vehicle and appears to mount on both sides near the left and right wheel wells. This is the one I DONT want.

The other is a center mount that bolts in underneath the center trim, the lexus DIY site used this one, I think He had a Da'lan.

What is the price range Im looking at for this?

Is there any info you guys could help me out with on this? I need to get this thing mounted before saturday mourning.

Thanks in advance, Pete

I see a 2,000 pound light duty Class I hitch at http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1992_Lexus_LS400.htm for your 92 LS. The bumper beam behind the bumper cover on a gen 1 LS400 has threaded holes for a Class I light duty trailer hitch. It should bolt right on.

The larger hitch is a Class II frame hitch, capacity 3,500 pounds, and bolts into the same holes as the muffler brackets. Some Class II hitches for the gen 1 LS like you have also bolt to the bumper beam as well as to the muffler bracket bolts.

I had a Class II hitch on the 90 LS I had for many years and currently have a DrawTite Class II hitch on my 00 LS which I bought from etrailer. I doubt if etrailer could get a hitch to you by saturday since you live so far from them (Wenzville, Missouri 300 miles from me) unless they could drop ship it to you.

You will also need a drawbar and ball if you are going to tow a trailer and will need your LS wired for trailer lights. A trailer light harness usually attaches to the tail lights but the power is normally taken from the battery so ensure that the trailer lights get enough voltage. These days, most hitch installers will not install trailer light harnesses powered only by the taillights due to the liability issue.

The power wire for my trailer light harness exists the trunk of my 00 LS400 through an existing hole an ABS wire goes through. It runs forward under the car secured with cable ties and is attached to a power terminal on the under hood fuse box which looks like it is made to power things like this -- don't know if the 92 LS has this terminal. Be sure to have an in-line fuse in the trailer hitch power wire -- best placed where the power wire attaches to the underhood fuse box or, if you have to, to the battery terminal.

Prices? etrailer doesn't seem to have a Class II hitch for your 92 LS. The Class II hitch for my 00 LS is $139 from etrailer -- should be a similar price for a 92 LS for a Class II hitch if you can find one from another company. As you can see on the above link to etrailer, their Class I hitch for the 92 LS is $127.06 -- a lot of money for so little metal compared to a Class II hitch. A Class II hitch is a much more secure hitch but if you are pulling something light a Class I hitch will do. If you get a light duty Class I hitch keep your trailer well under 2,000 pounds unless you know that your bumper is in absolutely perfect shape -- i.e. strong. Go for the larger Class II hitch if at all possible -- they are waaaay better.

Of course, if all you are going to attach to the hitch is something like a hitch mounted bicycle rack, a Class I hitch is just fine.

I see a 2,000 pound light duty Class I hitch at http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1992_Lexus_LS400.htm for your 92 LS. The bumper beam behind the bumper cover on a gen 1 LS400 has threaded holes for a Class I light duty trailer hitch. It should bolt right on.

The larger hitch is a Class II frame hitch, capacity 3,500 pounds, and bolts into the same holes as the muffler brackets. Some Class II hitches for the gen 1 LS like you have also bolt to the bumper beam as well as to the muffler bracket bolts.

I had a Class II hitch on the 90 LS I had for many years and currently have a DrawTite Class II hitch on my 00 LS which I bought from etrailer. I doubt if etrailer could get a hitch to you by saturday since you live so far from them (Wenzville, Missouri 300 miles from me) unless they could drop ship it to you.

You will also need a drawbar and ball if you are going to tow a trailer and will need your LS wired for trailer lights. A trailer light harness usually attaches to the tail lights but the power is normally taken from the battery so ensure that the trailer lights get enough voltage. These days, most hitch installers will not install trailer light harnesses powered only by the taillights due to the liability issue.

The power wire for my trailer light harness exists the trunk of my 00 LS400 through an existing hole an ABS wire goes through. It runs forward under the car secured with cable ties and is attached to a power terminal on the under hood fuse box which looks like it is made to power things like this -- don't know if the 92 LS has this terminal. Be sure to have an in-line fuse in the trailer hitch power wire -- best placed where the power wire attaches to the underhood fuse box or, if you have to, to the battery terminal.

Prices? etrailer doesn't seem to have a Class II hitch for your 92 LS. The Class II hitch for my 00 LS is $139 from etrailer -- should be a similar price for a 92 LS for a Class II hitch if you can find one from another company. As you can see on the above link to etrailer, their Class I hitch for the 92 LS is $127.06 -- a lot of money for so little metal compared to a Class II hitch. A Class II hitch is a much more secure hitch but if you are pulling something light a Class I hitch will do. If you get a light duty Class I hitch keep your trailer well under 2,000 pounds unless you know that your bumper is in absolutely perfect shape -- i.e. strong. Go for the larger Class II hitch if at all possible -- they are waaaay better.

Of course, if all you are going to attach to the hitch is something like a hitch mounted bicycle rack, a Class I hitch is just fine.

Thanks for the info. I bought the class 1, 2 day shipping, hopefully it will be here for Fr-Sat. Ont the DIY lexus site, He take the lighting right from the tail lights, That was hes recommendation anyway, Ill try it.

My bumper is in Grate/excellent shape, Which is good. No bike rack here. Im pulling a carry on 5'x8' cargo trailer with an empty weight of 960 lbs. I haul RC jets around New england, Next trip is to gardner mass about 90 miles or so. Loaded up the load won't exced 1100 lbs. 900 under the rated capacity, Im sure she can handle it..

Pete