Oil Change / Warranty

Hi everyone,

I changed the oil myself on my wife's 2009 RX350 (at the 5,000 mile mark). Does this affect the warranty in any way? Do I need to maintain any documentation that I did this service myself to keep in compliance with the warranty?

Thanks!

The warranty is not affected by an owner performing maintenance. I've always documented the maintenance I've performed by recording it in the maintenance booklet like the Lexus dealer would do.

It's good to check occasionally with the Lexus dealer to see if there are any outstanding TSIB's or "product improvement campaigns" for your RX -- not sure if that is the correct term. I've had a lot of free work done on Lexus cars without the dealer even telling me exactly what they did.

The warranty is not affected by an owner performing maintenance. I've always documented the maintenance I've performed by recording it in the maintenance booklet like the Lexus dealer would do.

It's good to check occasionally with the Lexus dealer to see if there are any outstanding TSIB's or "product improvement campaigns" for your RX -- not sure if that is the correct term. I've had a lot of free work done on Lexus cars without the dealer even telling me exactly what they did.

Hi everyone,

I changed the oil myself on my wife's 2009 RX350 (at the 5,000 mile mark). Does this affect the warranty in any way? Do I need to maintain any documentation that I did this service myself to keep in compliance with the warranty?

Thanks!

You might want to take a look at this....

Basic Warranty The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:

•Fire, accidents or theft.

•Abuse or negligence.

•Misuse-for example, racing or overloading.

•Improper repairs.

•Alteration or tampering.

•Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Warranty and Services Guide.

•Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions.

•Water contamination.

•Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.

•Vehicles that have had their odometer tampered with so that actual vehicle mileage cannot be determined.

•Any vehicle for which the original factory-assigned vehicle identification number can't be determined.

•Any vehicle that has been issued a "salvage" title or similar title under any state's law. This also includes cars that have been declared a "total loss" or equivalent by a financial institution or insurer, such as by payment for a claim in lieu of repairs because the cost of repairs exceeded the cash value of the vehicle. This exclusion does not apply to the emission control warranties with later usage.

•Incidental or consequential damage associated with vehicle failure. Such damages include but are not limited to inconvenience; the cost of transportation, telephone calls and lodging; the loss of personal or commercial property; and the loss of pay or revenue.

•Normal maintenance services such as engine tune-ups; replacement of fluids and filters; lubrication; cleaning and polishing; replacement of spark plugs and fuses; and replacement of worn wiper blades, brake pads/linings and clutch linings. NOTE: For 2004 Lexus models, customers will receive a 1,000-mile maintenance and may choose between the 5,000 and 7,500-mile maintenance. Beginning with 2005 models, coverage now includes the Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) program, which must be completed within 12 months from the vehicle's purchase date and the 5,000-mile/six-month maintenance.

•Tires, which are covered by a separate warranty provided by the tire manufacturer.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Keep very detailed receipts...I can tell you from personal exp that IF you have an issue they will require documentation and will still probably deny your claim...I guess maybe they want you to spend the $9.50 a quart and $25 for the filter at one of their stores...

Keep very detailed receipts...I can tell you from personal exp that IF you have an issue they will require documentation and will still probably deny your claim...I guess maybe they want you to spend the $9.50 a quart and $25 for the filter at one of their stores...

Would you please elaborate on your personal experience and tell us what warranty claim was denied?