Noise From The Engine (1996 Es300 With 182k ).

I have a 1996 ES300 with 182K miles on it. I own this vehicle since 2001 (70K). It has been running very smooth and from the last 5 or 6 months it started making more noise from the engine as if it is pulling a big truck behind it. The RPM needle is at normal state (between 2 and 3 depends on speeds and acceleration). Also the MPG is reduced from 27 to 22. I am sure it is NOT from the A/C unit. I can hear the noise even after I turn off the A/C. The noise is more when picking up the speed from 0 to 60 MPH. I am doing regular oil changes.

Anyone please let me know what might be the problem and what should I check/repair?

(I did search the form and didn't find any similar problem threads).

Thanks,

Bobby.

Took the car to muffler shop and found a crack in one of the flex pipe. Muffler shop guys cut that part with a saw and put the new part and welded it.

They said, If I have to replace the whole pipe/exhaust it will cost around $400. They charged me $105 + Tax. (NOT sure it is the reasonable charge or not).

Now the loud noise is gone. Ned to keep an eye on the mileage.

Thanks to George_Jetson for pin pointing the exact problem. Thanks a lot.

One suggestion, I would check the motor mounts, especially the top mount (near the shock tower). Once the rubber in this mount wears out, it allows the engine to rock back and forth more than it should. This puts more stress on the exhaust flex joint, and could contribute to failure of the joint.