Best Replacement Tires Options For 2004 Rx330

Rick Salpeter

I was hoping that someone could recommend a few good replacement tire options for a 2004 RX330. I'm looking for a set of all season tires that will perform well in wet conditions, snow and ice with a nice ride and low noise.

The best set I found so far is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I was hoping that someone could recommend a few good replacement tire options for a 2004 RX330. I'm looking for a set of all season tires that will perform well in wet conditions, snow and ice with a nice ride and low noise.

The best set I found so far is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Nope go with the Bridgestone's. They are a great tire all of the way around.

I've also heard good things about the Goodyear Assurance tires, & FWIW, Goodyear has not had the past problems that Firestone has.

I have a 09RX350 with the 18" wheels, and it came with Michelin tires. I've only got 6600 miles on it, but the tires are fine: good grip, low noise, good 'feel' (if 'feel' is not an oxymoron when associated to RX steering) and they seem to be OK in the rain, including hard tropical showers. I haven't tried them in cold conditions... I assume you have the 17" wheels, and I don't know if the original 18" Michelins come in your size. Maybe you can check on tirerack.com?

I've also heard good things about the Goodyear Assurance tires, & FWIW, Goodyear has not had the past problems that Firestone has.

I have a 09RX350 with the 18" wheels, and it came with Michelin tires. I've only got 6600 miles on it, but the tires are fine: good grip, low noise, good 'feel' (if 'feel' is not an oxymoron when associated to RX steering) and they seem to be OK in the rain, including hard tropical showers. I haven't tried them in cold conditions... I assume you have the 17" wheels, and I don't know if the original 18" Michelins come in your size. Maybe you can check on tirerack.com?

Thanks for your reply. I have 18" wheels too, so the Michelin tires are a possibility. Do you know the exact model? I think Tirerack.com is a good source but I can't seem to find enough Lexus RX330 user reviews to trust their tire ratings. Some tires have great spec's on tirerack.com but have horrible user reviews from Lexus owners. I'm hoping that I'll hear from a Lexus RX330 owner directly, that purchased a set of all season tires that they loved and could highly recommend.

I'll check on the 18" OEM Michelin tires that Lexus is currently putting on the RX330 and see if they'll work for me.

No treadwear warranty on both the Michelin and Goodyear tires makes it a non-starter for me. The OEM Michelin's lasted just about 35K before needing replaced.

The Bridgestone Alenza's have a 65K rating and although they will need to be replaced at about 40K, I am at least getting a credit for the treadwear.

YMMV.

Thanks for your reply. I have 18" wheels too, so the Michelin tires are a possibility. Do you know the exact model? I think Tirerack.com is a good source but I can't seem to find enough Lexus RX330 user reviews to trust their tire ratings. Some tires have great spec's on tirerack.com but have horrible user reviews from Lexus owners. I'm hoping that I'll hear from a Lexus RX330 owner directly, that purchased a set of all season tires that they loved and could highly recommend.

I'll check on the 18" OEM Michelin tires that Lexus is currently putting on the RX330 and see if they'll work for me.

I believe they are the Michelin "Energy", but will check later and revert. The RX330 was discontinued (2007) and the RX350 replaced it. A call to a dealer would probably provide an answer.

If you're looking for a tire that is good in the winter months as well (and you don't want dedicated winter tires), the Good Year Fortera TripleTred is an all season tire that also has the 'mountain/snowflake' symbol, indicating it's meets the industry severe service standard - http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

I haven't used them myself, but they seem to get good ratings at http://www.tirerack.com and http://www.1010tires.com.

I think these are the OE tires that Lexus is putting on the 2010 RX350s

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=H

If you've got 18-inch rims, get the Bridgestone Alenza. Our set is pushing 50,000 miles and still going strong. Keep them at about 36 psi, rotate your tires at every oil & filter change, drive it like an SUV and not a race car, and these tires may indeed do 60,000 miles, coming very close to their 65K warranty.

If you've got 17-inch rims, get the Firestone Destination LE. Almost exactly the same technology as the Alenza at less than two-thirds of the price and significantly cheaper than that with a buy-3-get-1-free deal. I've had two sets of them on two different SUVs and both sets did well over 50,000 miles and would have achieved their 60K warranty if I had chosen to push them further. If these tires are ever built in the 18-inch sizes, then jump on them instead of the Alenzas if you have 18-inch rims.

As pointed out previously, Michelin and Goodyear never enter the picture due to their lack of a treadwear warranty. If the company building the tire doesn't feel strong enough about it to match what the competition has been offering for years, their tires will never see my vehicles' rims....

If you're looking for a tire that is good in the winter months as well (and you don't want dedicated winter tires), the Good Year Fortera TripleTred is an all season tire that also has the 'mountain/snowflake' symbol, indicating it's meets the industry severe service standard - http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

I haven't used them myself, but they seem to get good ratings at http://www.tirerack.com and http://www.1010tires.com.

I agree, the Good Year Fortera TrippleTred seems like the tire I have been looking for but I got scared off by some of the customer reviews. A few customers reported excessively high tire noise and trouble maintaining wheel balance, even though most felt the tire performed real well otherwise.

I have the Michelin's on my 2004 RX330, which has the 18" wheels. This is the second set of Michelins and I am not thrilled with the mileage. I think I got about 40k miles on the first set, which is considerably less than the 75k or so that I get on my wife's Honda CRV. I think it has to do with these 18" wide profile tires being softer rubber. That said, I must say that they ride so much nicer than the Goodyears that came with it, there is no comparison. I pay more for the luxury, but then I did that when I bought the Lexus.

Tire Rack makes it very easy to find the tires for your car. If you select 2004, then Lexus, it gives you the option of 17 vs. 18 inch wheels. From there, they give you a dozen or more tire options for that wheel. I used their option of selecting a local installer, and they shipped the tires directly to the installer. I knew beforehand what the installation price was going to be. Even though the installer sells the tires themselves, they were very cordial with my business. I saved about $200 going with Tire Rack.

I have the Michelin's on my 2004 RX330, which has the 18" wheels. This is the second set of Michelins and I am not thrilled with the mileage. I think I got about 40k miles on the first set, which is considerably less than the 75k or so that I get on my wife's Honda CRV. I think it has to do with these 18" wide profile tires being softer rubber. That said, I must say that they ride so much nicer than the Goodyears that came with it, there is no comparison. I pay more for the luxury, but then I did that when I bought the Lexus.

Tire Rack makes it very easy to find the tires for your car. If you select 2004, then Lexus, it gives you the option of 17 vs. 18 inch wheels. From there, they give you a dozen or more tire options for that wheel. I used their option of selecting a local installer, and they shipped the tires directly to the installer. I knew beforehand what the installation price was going to be. Even though the installer sells the tires themselves, they were very cordial with my business. I saved about $200 going with Tire Rack.

As promised, I checked the Michelins that came with the 09RX350 - 18" wheels. They are Michelin Energy - MXV4 - S8 tires.

I am about to replace the tires on my 2005 RX 330 and I'm going with the exact same tire that came on it from the factory,

225/65R17 101S Michelin® Energy™ LX4. These have been on my vehicle since I purchased it new in October 2004 and I now have over 52K miles on them. They have worn evenly and are very quiet. They ride great and that's why I'm replacing them with the same type. They sell for $164 a piece at Sam's Club in Southwest Missouri.