Rx 350 Acceleration

I seem to be having issues with the accelerator of my 2008 RX350. When I accelerate, the pedal is pretty hard to push down and the car is slow to accelerate. It doesn't jump forward, it just slowly accelerates. I think I just got used to it, and when my hubby and I changed cars for the day, he really noticed it. I also noticed it when the rental RX350 I used (while my hubby's car was being serviced that day) didn't seem to respond that way.

I called the Lexus dealer and they told me it may be my gas I am using, since I wasn't using one of the major gas company's gas. So, my next fill-up, I filled up at Chevron and I don't notice a huge difference.

Anyone have these issues or know what is causing it?

Thanks!

Dana

Get the dealer to pull the codes from the computer. It sounds like the engine is being held in some form of limp mode by the computer. Have you had any check engine lights? Did you check to make sure the floor mat isn't stuck under the gas pedal?

the post above mine is very accurate. it almost seems foolish but SO many more times than not you accidentally find your floor matt squished up underneath the pedal causing it resistance to push down. give that a check

OMG... I just checked it this afternoon, and sure enough, that is what it was (the floor mat was pushed way up under the accelerator) :rolleyes: ... I can't believe my car accelerates so fast now!! THANK YOU BOTH soooo much. I feel really stupid :rolleyes:

the post above mine is very accurate. it almost seems foolish but SO many more times than not you accidentally find your floor matt squished up underneath the pedal causing it resistance to push down. give that a check

OMG... I just checked it this afternoon, and sure enough, that is what it was (the floor mat was pushed way up under the accelerator) :rolleyes: ... I can't believe my car accelerates so fast now!! THANK YOU BOTH soooo much. I feel really stupid :rolleyes:

The driver's floormat has a hole left rear in which you fit the floor anchor. The mat then does not move. Apart from the annoyance of slow acceleration, it is a safety hazard to have the mat move while you drive.... so its worth your while to fit the hole over the anchor, which takes all of less than a minute....

Thanks for checking back and letting us know what the problem was, it will help another member some day. Glad it worked out ok.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

What I would be really concerned by is the fact that when you called your dealer they suggested it was a fuel issue. If you explained the issue to them, the way you did here, it was clearly a mechanical issue of some sort, not a fuel related issue. This is a real good example why these forums are necessary.

DaWG

I have a related question. A lot new cars have what is called 'adaptive acceleration' in their lingo. What I understand is, you 'teach' your car how you would like it to accelerate. Am I making sense? Is there such a thing? If yes, how would you approach this with a brand new car. I will be getting my new RX from a dealer hundreds of miles away, and driving home. Is it OK to go over 75 on a brand new car, or I have to do this slowly? My goal is to get the strongest acceleration from a stop. That 0-60 thing. Thanks.