Cost Of Oil Change And Tire Rotation?

John A.

I just had my oil/filter changed, using Mobil 1, and a tire rotation (no balancing) at Desert Lexus in Cathedral City, CA; for $295, of which $200 was for labor. This seems excessive, what have you guys been paying?

JOHN

That's why they're called a "Stealership". I do my own oil changes, with Mobile 1, which usually costs me around $50 bucks including filter. Places like Discount Tires will sometimes rotate your tires for free, with hopes of creating a future customer.

I only reserve the dealership's mechanics for crucial, lifeline type repairs to the car, that I feel the full backing of Lexus is needed if the repairs aren't done correctly. Which, being a Lexus, doesn't really happen.

I had my oil changed and tires rotated on my 4runner at the local Toyota dealership two weeks ago for $89 (I didn't have time to do it myself, and was getting ready for a road trip) - Mobile 1 used too. Try a Toyota dealership next. My 4runner has the same 4.7 V8 as the GX470.

Exactly that what I do the same. As rightly said by NC..they are "Stealerships", I have had bitter experience, Today I have a full fledged garage enough to handle and remove the complete gear box trans and other stuff. My dependency with the dealer is only if somethings which I have not able to solve and repair is beyond my head and do keep the warranty going,and I personally do all the preventive maintenance. I am a purebred grease monkey when i started my aviation career and that is why i still love my lexus.

I just had my oil/filter changed, using Mobil 1, and a tire rotation (no balancing) at Desert Lexus in Cathedral City, CA; for $295, of which $200 was for labor. This seems excessive, what have you guys been paying?

JOHN

Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation only at my dealer cost $150. I think your dealer did your schedule maintenance too, which is inspect that and check this and that. Thats why the labor cost is so high.

• 3 weeks later...

JOHN

Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation only at my dealer cost $150. I think your dealer did your schedule maintenance too, which is inspect that and check this and that. Thats why the labor cost is so high.

My dealer in Phoenix quoted $80 for Balancing and Rotation, I told him it was a rip off. Went to Discount tire they offered $40 for Balancing and Roataion for life. I took that offer.