Power Steering Leaking

Tommy_B

yes the PS pump. I don't belive it can be repaired. Its a remove and replace item.

Try search words, "power steering rebuild".... You'll see differently... :P

yeah ive seen the tutorial on lexls.com

yes the PS pump. I don't belive it can be repaired. Its a remove and replace item.

ok i was just checking to see if it was maybe a hose leaking.

and thanks to this leak i believe my alternator is shot too :(

I saw somewhere that the alternator fails because the brushes to the rotor get soft from the PS fluid.

It might be not too difficult to just replace the alternator brushed and clean it up a bit with some solvent. A lot cheaper than a new one.

I saw somewhere that the alternator fails because the brushes to the rotor get soft from the PS fluid.

It might be not too difficult to just replace the alternator brushed and clean it up a bit with some solvent. A lot cheaper than a new one.

yeahh but too late i already bought a 200amp alternator and a new power steering pump :D

okay so ive read about the power steering leaking problem.

but is there a common place where the leak was found?

The air control valve for the PS pump can cause a number of different problems (leaks, noises, fluid consumption, etc.). It's cheap and easy to replace on the 95-97 too!

okay so ive read about the power steering leaking problem.

but is there a common place where the leak was found?

The air control valve for the PS pump can cause a number of different problems (leaks, noises, fluid consumption, etc.). It's cheap and easy to replace on the 95-97 too!

oh wow, i wish i knew this before. :o .i already got another one....but atleast ill have a replacement if this one goes out :D

• 2 months later...

new to forum and my alternator is shot due to leaking ps pump. Where did you get your parts and how much did it cost. Also, how hard was it to do the work yourself. Any instructions would help greatly!

thanks.

OMG, as most here know I had recently went through a terrible ordeal with my PS fluid leaking. Turns out that 2 years of leaking and adding fluid was the return hose that comes out of the back of the pump. It was a $2 8 inch piece of 3/8 vacuum hose. Also, my idle-up valve was leaking... pliugged that and all is well. For now. <_<

Check the easy things first. I never dreamed it was a $2 hose leaking on mine.

• 4 weeks later...
OMG, as most here know I had recently went through a terrible ordeal with my PS fluid leaking. Turns out that 2 years of leaking and adding fluid was the return hose that comes out of the back of the pump. It was a $2 8 inch piece of 3/8 vacuum hose. Also, my idle-up valve was leaking... pliugged that and all is well. For now. <_<

Check the easy things first. I never dreamed it was a $2 hose leaking on mine.

oh wow. yeah i replaced my pump and alternator and it was still leaking, and now i just figured out it was the pressure hoses