Stop/brake Lights 2004 Rx 330

filhiol

Just ran into a bunch of BS from my local Lexus dealer and want to pass on the following information. The right hand stop/brake light on our 2004 RX330 stopped working. We only have 24,000 miles on it and had bought it new in Oct 2004(my wife’s birthday present” from Lexus of New Orleans. Of course the basic warranty ran out because of months. Our “service adviser” advised me that all one had to do was replace the bulb at a cost of about $1.00. As usual this guy had no idea what he was talking about and after talking to the “head” service manager I was advised that the stop/brake lights were LED arrays and could not be replaced. He advised that you had to buy the whole light assembly to the tune of $300 plus minimum of $125 of labor. I could not believe what he was saying, but he kept saying it. I asked him how many people had paid that kind of money to replace the (obviously defective) stop/brake light. He said none because they usually went out while the basic warranty was in effect. Since we only have 24,000 miles on the car, apparently we did not drive enough which apparently “does in” the LEDs. He actually told me that the cost used to be in excess of $1000 to do this job and I was really getting a bargain We had been working with the same sales rep thinking about buying a 2010 and after talking to this "current idiot” told him to advise the sales rep to never call us again. To make a long sorry story short and after talking to four other Lexus Distributors around the country found out that just the LEDs were available as a replacement part at a cost of $88.87 plus the labor to put it in the housing. I decided to do it myself with no real problem as only three nuts hold the assembly in the panel. The Lexus part number for the right hand is 815530E010 and can actually be bought from any Toyota and Lexus dealer or Lexus Parts online about $15 less but I went ahead and bought it from a Toyota Dealer. It took me about 2 hours because I have very large hands and I am right handed. One has to work with the left hand for the RH light, but by just working slowly and carefully I saved a minimum of $300. Now, sadly, I await the left hand one to go out. Needless to say this will be our first and last Lexus. Going back to Nissan from whom we had bought 6 vehicles starting in 1980 with absolutely no problems to amount to a hill of beans. I never had to replace a brake/stop light on any of them and I figure we over 600,000 total miles on the vehicles because I was working full time.

If you have had all your service there, I would talk to the general manager and ask for a good will replacement.

Lenore, I tried that to no avail. I'm treating this as a good learning experience. I'm going on 73 years old and have never experienced something like this happing when, as you say, I did give them all of my service work (and paid a dear price - example being $60.00 for a oil and filter change). However, I guess I'll have to take part of the responsibility, as, when I bought the vehicle off of the show room floor and my wife was giving them a check for $41,000(we paid the sales tax of 8.5% directly to our taxing authority) I discovered the vehicle had been assembled in Canada. I should have backed out on the deal then. I bought a new 1968 Plymouth that had been assembled in Canada and it was the biggest and worst piece of s- - - I ever owned. Shame on me once but never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry, I hate the bad dealerships, the good ones are far few. I would call corporate Lexus and talk to them.....

I am so sorry, I hate the bad dealerships, the good ones are far few. I would call corporate Lexus and talk to them.....

Lenore- don't you wonder sometimes if you were able to lift the top of those peoples (dealer management) heads off if you wouldn't find some cobwebs, lint, old chicken bones and belly button fuzz in there? Not very kind, I know but they are clueless as to how far good PR will go. I think it is a rare day that being human and kind to people won't repay you many times over. I worked for a Chevy dealer for about 12 years total (twice) that has been in the same family that started it, for 61 years. When I worked there in the 70's they had a salesman that had worked there for many years. He was 1 of the most likeable and honest people you would ever meet. There were some tough times in the 70's (recession) and while he stayed home most of the time, his sales didn't drop at all, because his customers would call him at home and he would make the sale and only come in to deliver the car. He was living proof of the value of treating people honestly and doing the right thing. His customers wouldn't even talk to another salesman, much less go any where else to even shop.

I was taught that a long time ago, one bad customer relation will generate the loss of 10 customers. I know I personally prevented at least 10 people from using Lexus of Roseville after my dealings with them....I tell everyone to use Lexus of Sacramento....probably same ownership, but the general manager, shop foreman, and service advisor just put me through too much....Treat people as if you want them to return forever, and they will, Getting that signature on the dotted line is only the first step in a relationship with a dealership, the service department has to continue it until the next purchase. There are some really dumb managers, that are so numbers driven they have lost site of the forest through the trees.