Do Not Use Mr Clean Magic Eraser On Upper Dash...

Well today i got a chance to wash the Rx400h inside and out. I noticed a little "scuff" on the black upper dash in front of the passenger seat above the glove compartment. I thought, MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER!!

I got a new eraser, dabbed it in a little water, and rubbed the scuff a little, thinking it would act as an abrasive and blend the scuff in.

Well... it took the black dye right off of the dash! Upon close inspection, the dash is covered in a thin layer of vinyl coated with a thin layer of dye, and i guess i used too much of the magic eraser as it removed a lot of the dye. So at this point, a had a rather large area that was more "light blue" instead of black.

Thankfully i had previously ordered a bottle of magic mender's leather/vinly dye, and i was able to airbrush the dash back to health. Looks 100% brand new, but still, it gave me a scare!

Just thought i'd give you guys a heads up... The eraser worked for me on the rx300's dash (which is solid) but it's too harsh for the 04-09 Rx dash...

So stick to soap and water on a cotton towel if anything :)

Interesting news, CD. Thanks for sharing. This product has been discussed on a Porsche site I am a member of, and somewhat highly promoted. I have been skeptical of using it and now will likely not bother to buy it.

Tom

I'm always looking for something to remove scuff marks in my Corvette's light oak interior. I guess I can always try that eraser in an inconspicuous area, first........

Thanks for the advice for the 400h, though.

I really like the mr clean magic eraser for other areas though, it's just proven to be a little too... aggressive on at least the upper dash areas. I've used it on the Rx300 dash and it's been just fine, it's just that the 04-09 Rx dashes are covered in vinyl... jeesh.

Just thought i'd give everyone a heads up :)