Shop Pricing

jgunn

I was quoted $745 for timing belt and water pump replacement on a 100,000mi. 01rx300, is this reasonable and how will they detemine if the belt needs replaced, thanks for feedback

Changing timing belt at 100000 is a general practice/maintenance, especially the belt is 8 years old. More than likely the belt still can handle more miles, but it is a timing bomb, you may experience it to break on you any time too. I would pay around 400-500 for all the belts, water pump, and seals. dont use lexus dealer, they'll chop off one of your arms plus a small toe.

Changing timing belt at 100000 is a general practice/maintenance, especially the belt is 8 years old. More than likely the belt still can handle more miles, but it is a timing bomb, you may experience it to break on you any time too. I would pay around 400-500 for all the belts, water pump, and seals. dont use lexus dealer, they'll chop off one of your arms plus a small toe.

:lol::lol::lol:

Agreed, That's a little steep. You can buy the timing belt for $35. and the WP for $82. online, both OEM. Our local Toyota dealer runs a coupon special for $189. for the timing belt replacement (parts and labor). It shouldn't run more than an hour additional labor (doesn't take that long while your in there changing the belt), so that's still less than $450. with WP, addtl. labor and tax. Take it to a Toyota dealer or good T/L independent shop, bound to cost you less than a Lexus dealer, and it's the same engine, they work on them all the time.

Belt will probably last 175k mi. or more with no worry but most people change for peace of mind, not because it looks worn out. When i changed my DIL's at 97k mi. it looked almost new, others have had similar experience. The WP will probably go as long or longer, (175k mi.) but anyone who worries about that kind of thing should spend the money and sleep well! Good Luck!

I paid a shade under $600, so you're quote is not outrageous but perhaps a bit high. If its your trusted mechanic maybe its worth it but if its just a random shop I'd say shop around a bit.

My toyota dealer refused to work on Lexus' but that's a great option if you can get it.