Speedometer

Blow Torch

I searched in the old topics and found a few answers, but wanted to verify my findings

I have a 90 LS400 and the speedometer is erratic. It will simply sit on zero for a while, then might register correctly for a few miles. then register 140mph :o When it is eratic, the cruise control does not work, but if it is accurate (rarely) it does

I read that the speed sensors are prone to go bad, and found one (#89411-50010) for $72.00. Does this sound like what I need?

Thanks

I searched in the old topics and found a few answers, but wanted to verify my findings

I have a 90 LS400 and the speedometer is erratic. It will simply sit on zero for a while, then might register correctly for a few miles. then register 140mph :o When it is eratic, the cruise control does not work, but if it is accurate (rarely) it does

I read that the speed sensors are prone to go bad, and found one (#89411-50010) for $72.00. Does this sound like what I need?

Thanks

Read this:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/2259...s-not-work.html

Thanks

Get under your car and check the wire harness from your xmsn (transmission) for frayed, chafed or anything that may interrupt the flow of current. The speed sensor should be the only component that is responsible for this issue if all other inspections are GTG. Let us know the outcome.

Update;

Decided to spend the money on the sensor, once I checked for any wire (as best as I could see) fraying of cut/broken

I purchased the 5S4770 sensor (this is the smaller one on the driver side) after verifying with Rockauto that it was the correct one. I replaced it this morning and it worked PERFECTLY for about one mile, then back to zero!!!

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Although the car is in great shape, I can't justify paying a mechanic to diagnose and replace parts (Lexus parts) but the car is a PAIN to drive like this.

Anyone know what I should do next

Thanks