Any One Replaced A Starter In A 400ls?

vroom8

my starter is clicking and it has been going out for several months--decided to replace it. my mechanic says he can do it----any tutorials on this procedure?

my mechanic is an engine guy, so i feel confident he can do it.

apparently it is in the V of the engine, and it is quite a job.

anyone else had this done?

You could do a search. Common problem, but it's not the starter, it's the contacts in the starter solenoid. Two different things, attached together.

I'm glad your mechanic is an "engine guy". Just what kind of mechanic isn't? Clothes dryer repairman? Dish washer technician?

You could do a search. Common problem, but it's not the starter, it's the contacts in the starter solenoid. Two different things, attached together.

I'm glad your mechanic is an "engine guy". Just what kind of mechanic isn't? Clothes dryer repairman? Dish washer technician?

thanks-

Yes, do a search.

had it done? I did it.

did a search- no tutorials on this....as far as i can find...thanks

0-0-...found some.

looks like a real paiin....i wonder if he will want to do it now.

OK but 99% of the work is getting to the starter and then putting it all back together.

There are some good tutorials on how to do this if you are adventurous enough. If a DIY oil change or brake job seems daunting I wouldn't consider doing this one on your own.

If you're paying $500+ in labor it might be better to replace entire starter motor with a rebuilt as the solenoid maybe the current problem but loose bearings, drive gear, worn brushes, or a scored commutator might not be far off.

OK but 99% of the work is getting to the starter and then putting it all back together.

There are some good tutorials on how to do this if you are adventurous enough. If a DIY oil change or brake job seems daunting I wouldn't consider doing this one on your own.

If you're paying $500+ in labor it might be better to replace entire starter motor with a rebuilt as the solenoid maybe the current problem but loose bearings, drive gear, worn brushes, or a scored commutator might not be far off.

yea, i'm gonna replace the starter motor- once he gets in there-it would be crazy not to......got a quote for about $1100..

but prolly more.......

this is it.....i'm trading it in on a mazda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah... the location of the starter on the LS400 - its one of the dumbest designs I have ever seen before. I have never seen anything on these cars so uncalled for. :rolleyes:

Under the intake.... when I tell "non-Lexus owners" this, they give me this funny look like I am crazy. Well, I tell them I am crazy.

Well if he's not comfortable tearing out the intake manifold to get to the starter then he's probably not the right guy for the job.

I think you’d want someone who’s done a Lexus before. They’ll know parts needed (like manifold gasket (can’t reuse old gasket or you’d risk an air leak really impacting engine performance), spark plugs(since you’re in there might as well replace them)) and so on.

Just finished doing mine yesterday. I got the contact and plunger kit here: Starter parts for less than $30 and the gaskets from lexpartsonline. Total cost under $100. Took me a good six hours of effort, but I'm unemployed so it was not really a choice. There are quite a few threads on it, it's not the hardest job I've ever done but if you don't change your own brakes etc I wouldn't advise it. Otherwise dive in and have fun! I understand the 92 is a bit harder because of some different plumbing back there (egr crossover?), I had to deal with a wire harness that won't move much even after you unbolt it and a coolant crossover. Got a few cut knuckles for sure.

Bob Graham

my starter is clicking and it has been going out for several months--decided to replace it. my mechanic says he can do it----any tutorials on this procedure?

my mechanic is an engine guy, so i feel confident he can do it.

apparently it is in the V of the engine, and it is quite a job.

anyone else had this done?

I agree the starter is in a bad place.. . I had to have mine replaced 4 years ago (99LS). The starter was put in the middle of the engine for balance and I don't think they changed that until 2007.. . So, I hope my newer Denso lasts longer than the first one (4.5 yrs). It cost me 1K to fix it!