Can Pauses Be Included In Phonebook Entries?

Hi all

I'd like to save an entry in the phonebook on my new IS250 which will dial my work phone number, pause and then dial the passcode needed to retrieve voicemails.

I've tried the "pause" button on the screen used to enter numbers into the Lexus phonebook. However, this simply dials the phone number and then stops at the pause and doesn't send the passcode. Including the "wait" button in a phonebook entry works as expected; after the system dials the phone number, you then hit the 0-9 key to send the passcode. Alternatively I know I could save the passcode separately as speedtone, but both these alternatives involve a number of key presses whereas on my previous bluetooth handsfree I was able to do this in a single step.

I've found posts by a couple of people asking similar questions in relation to both Lexus and Toyota bluetooth phone systems but no replies or solutions although some seem to suggest they have managed it. If anyone has a solution they'd like to share I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Roger

Hi Bob

Many thanks for that. Unfortunately the screen for entering numbers into the Lexus phonebook only has 0-9 and the three extra characters of * # and + along with the Pause and Wait buttons.

Best regards

Roger

The commas "Bob" is thinking about are probably the ones used to force waits on analog modems -- not on cell phones.

I think someone else has tried this but, if you enter the pauses on your cell phone and then transfer the entry from your cell phone to your car, does the problem still occur when you speed dial the phone number from your nav screen?

Also you might check if your particular cell phone can "Transfer single number phonebook entries that contain special characters to the system (p, w, etc.)". Whether this feature works or not with a particular phone is documented at http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/product...=1&model=IS but it may be different for phones and the Lexus nav system in the U.K.

Am I correct to assume that the pauses work if you speed dial from your cell phone and then use the IS Bluetooth system to listen to your voice mail?

How much does Lexus get for its Bluetooth Complimentary Kit these days? I see that it is still on the U.K. Lexus website for the IS: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/accessories/interior.aspx I agree that it would be a pain to have to speed dial your voice mail from your handset but at least the complementary kit would keep the handset in easy reach.

Look at my ancient Nokia handset in its CARK-91 cradle in my avatar to the left. One of the features I like about the old system is that I have phone numbers on speed dial that use multiple pauses to navigate through PBX and voice mail systems automatically supplying extension numbers, mail box numbers, and passwords. It's fun to listen to the little phone cranking it's way through all the PBX and voice mail menus so I know what you are dealing with.

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your very detailed response.

I already had all the speed dials set up on my phone and, although it's a 5 year old Sony Ericisson phone, it seems to work well with the Lexus bluetooth system and I successfully bulk transferred all the phonebook entries including those containing "p". These phonebook entries suffer the same problem as those entered directly into the Lexus, i.e. the number is dialled but nothing after the "p" is sent. Using this phone with my previous bluetooth system to retrieve voice mails was a simple one button operation.

I'm wondering whether a new phone might solve the problem so I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has got this "p" feature working; it must surely be a very common use for the Lexus bluetooth hands free phone system.

Best regards

Roger

Is it a coincidence that the Sony Erickson phones listed on the Lexus website can not "Transfer single number phonebook entries that contain special characters to the system (p, w, etc.)"? Other phone brands and models are listed as being able to do this. I wonder if your problem is a Sony Erickson "feature". As you and others have found, the Lexus Bluetooth system is not as forgiving as some from other manufacturers. For example, I've seen a number of posts from frustrated iPhone owners complaining about the limited compatibility with the Lexus Bluetooth system and noting that the iPhone works well with the BMW Bluetooth system.

Do any of your friends or family members have a phone that is listed as being capable of transfering phonebook entries with special characters?

I'll be surprised if you get much feedback about your problem on a mainly U.S. car forum. Overall, Americans seem to be far behind people in the UK when it comes to exploiting cell phone features and particularly handsfree. Only a handful of U.S. states prohibit using a handset while driving. I see people everyday holding handsets to their ears while driving cars that have Bluetooth handsfree systems.

Hi Jim

That's very interesting. I'd been looking at the bluetooth phone compatibility list on the Lexus UK web site which gives far less detail and this makes it seem that Sony Ericisson phones are among the best whereas as you say the Lexus USA web site suggests a problem with the "p" function. I'll try my partner's Nokia but as most Nokias seem to have the same limitation, this might not prove anything. Although I haven't gone through all the phones listed on the Lexus USA web site, there seem to be many more that aren't able to transfer numbers including a "p" than those that can! Therefore, if I decide to buy a new phone, my choice could be rather limited.

Best regards

Roger

I've now tried a Nokia phone. I setup a phonebook entry in the Nokia which included the phone number, a "p" pause and my voicemail access code. I successfully transferred this into the Lexus bluetooth phonebook. But this phonebook entry simply dialled the phone number, stopped at the pause and didn't send the voicemail access code. In other words the Nokia worked exactly the same as my old Sony Ericisson.

I think this confirms the problem is with the Lexus bluetooth system, unless anyone has a phone they use with their Lexus to dial numbers, pauses and voicemail access codes?

Does anyone know of a means of contacting someone at Lexus technical support who might be able to help with this type of issue?

• 10 months later...

Even if you get to your office voicemail system and listen to the first message, how do you get to the next? You can't dial when driving. The car won't let you. This for me stinks.