Upgraded From 16" To 18" Wheels...do Struts Need To Be Chang

mgcanolaw

I recently upgraded the wheels on my 2001 LS430 from 16" wheels to 18" wheels...I did this because the chrome plating on my original wheels was flaking and I just happened to come across a good deal on OE 18" sport wheels on eBay so I made the switch. However, shortly after making the switch, I noticed my front end started going bad...when driving on the highway the ride on the car is fine, but whenever I hit a bump of any size the front end seems to hit very hard or clunk...almost as if the front shocks have gone bad. However, my LS430 has 130k miles so it may just be time to replace the shocks. I have a few questions:

Will changing wheels/tires from 16" to 18" cause my original shocks/front end to go bad? I thought as long as I kept the same wheel/tire diameter, all would be ok.

If I need to replace my struts, can I install struts made for the "sport" model with 18" wheels even though my car does not have the "sport" option?

Is there anything else that may be causing my front end to clunk very hard whenever I hit bumps on the road?

Thanks for your help!

18" wheels with 245/45R18 tires are automatically going to provide a substantially harsher ride than the 16" wheels with the 225/60R16 tires that were standard on the 01 LS430. Two reasons: 1) The lower tire section size leaves less to cushion the ride -- tires also act as shock absorbers. 2) The wider 245 tires will react to more road imperfections - more rubber on the road means that you are going to feel more of the road.

I've assumed that subtle suspection revisions were made in 2003 when 17" wheels on 225/55R17 tires became standard on the LS430 and especially in 2004 when 18" wheels became optional but I don't know if that is the case.

If your 01 LS has more than 70,000 miles or so on it, a front end clunk could be from worn suspension components. The first front suspension part to go on my 00 LS400 was the strut bar bushings -- don't know if the strut bar bushings on the LS430 are under the same unusually high stress as on the 98-00 LS400 though.

The Euro-tuned Sport Suspension option wasn't just a different set of shock absorbers. The option included different springs, suspension bushings, front and rear stabilizer bars and a variety of other components. A list of the components is at http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_2001_LEXU...L-AEAGKA_2.html

I recently upgraded the wheels on my 2001 LS430 from 16" wheels to 18" wheels...I did this because the chrome plating on my original wheels was flaking and I just happened to come across a good deal on OE 18" sport wheels on eBay so I made the switch. However, shortly after making the switch, I noticed my front end started going bad...when driving on the highway the ride on the car is fine, but whenever I hit a bump of any size the front end seems to hit very hard or clunk...almost as if the front shocks have gone bad. However, my LS430 has 130k miles so it may just be time to replace the shocks. I have a few questions:

Will changing wheels/tires from 16" to 18" cause my original shocks/front end to go bad? I thought as long as I kept the same wheel/tire diameter, all would be ok.

If I need to replace my struts, can I install struts made for the "sport" model with 18" wheels even though my car does not have the "sport" option?

Is there anything else that may be causing my front end to clunk very hard whenever I hit bumps on the road?

Thanks for your help!

post some pics of your new set of rims ??, i want to see what 18 's look like on a LS 430

post some pics of your new set of rims ??, i want to see what 18 's look like on a LS 430

Probably the same as every other LS430 with the OE 18" wheels. Not like it's a new thing.