Center Console Removal

ricco750

I am the new owner of a '99 RX300, which used to belong to my mother-in-law...the engine threw a rod at 105,000 miles, and the local Lexus dealer installed a new (short block) and rebuild for a reasonable price, so I'm paying for the engine, and was given the car. So far, I love this vehicle...my former ride was a '93 Ford Explorer...a great vehicle but short on luxury.

I am in the process of "fixing up" some of the minor interior blemishes, and I am attempting to remove the entire console for cleaning purposes...between the front passenger seats...but I can't figure out how to get it out. I have removed every visible screw and bolt on the thing, but there is something at the rear of the box that is holding it in. Does anyone have any experience with this dilemma?

Thanks, Jim...yes, I had seen this schematic before, but the resolution is so poor it did not help.

Hmmm ... the resolution of the drawing looks pretty good on my display. Have you removed part "58804A PANEL SUB-ASSY, CONSOLE, UPPER" and then removed the screws so you could remove "58833A COVER, CONSOLE, UPPER".

If you don't see screws holding part 58804A in place, then it may be held in place by friction tabs. I sometimes use a stiff putty knife wrapped with electrical tape to prevent scratching when removing interior parts held in place by friction. I also have some plastic trim removal tools that are specifically made for this purpose.

My assumption is that bolts holding the rear of the console down will be exposed once these parts are removed.

I've never removed the center consoles in an RX but I have removed the center consoles in a 1990 and 2000 LS400 and a few other cars. The consoles of both the LS400's were held down at the rear by two bolts ... maybe the same on your RX - something has to be holding the rear of the console to the floor. On the two LS400s, I had to pry out the console box and remove some HVAC ducting to expose the two bolts holding down the rear end of the console.

Thanks, Jim...yes, I had seen this schematic before, but the resolution is so poor it did not help.

Hmmm ... the resolution of the drawing looks pretty good on my display. Have you removed part "58804A PANEL SUB-ASSY, CONSOLE, UPPER" and then removed the screws so you could remove "58833A COVER, CONSOLE, UPPER".

If you don't see screws holding part 58804A in place, then it may be held in place by friction tabs. I sometimes use a stiff putty knife wrapped with electrical tape to prevent scratching when removing interior parts held in place by friction. I also have some plastic trim removal tools that are specifically made for this purpose.

My assumption is that bolts holding the rear of the console down will be exposed once these parts are removed.

I've never removed the center consoles in an RX but I have removed the center consoles in a 1990 and 2000 LS400 and a few other cars. The consoles of both the LS400's were held down at the rear by two bolts ... maybe the same on your RX - something has to be holding the rear of the console to the floor. On the two LS400s, I had to pry out the console box and remove some HVAC ducting to expose the two bolts holding down the rear end of the console.

Thanks for the additional advice...I'll try this on Friday, and let you know if I got it off.

Jim, you were absolutely right...that part 58804A, the holder of the collapsible cup holder, just pops right off...did not even need tools, just used my fingers. Once off, it was easy to see the remaining two bolts holding on the console. Thanks much! :D