Ls 430 Or Gs 430

I have the choice of buying a 2001 LS430 or a 2004 GS 430. I cannot make up my mind. Are there major differences and is the LS a lot better than the GS?

Thank you

They are both great cars, but completely different. You'll have to drive them both and make up your own mind. We can't do that for you.

I have an early LS and a first year GS400. At this point I'd buy the LS430, but that's just me. When I move on a LS430 it will be for me, and the wife will have the GS and I'll sell her older LS.

Thank you. I did have an early LS400 and liked the car very much. I did test drive an older GS in 2001 but found the ride a lot harder than the LS 400. So I am guessing that it will be the same for the GS430 too. I am planning to go from my BMw740 to the Lexus and really would like the opinions of owners. I am not looking to race it around but obviously need a bit of speed just in case I need to over take.

Is the ride more comfortable in the LS than the GS?

Thank you

The LS ride quality is unbeatable. Far better than the GS. Just where it is compared to the BMW you have I don't know.

The LS is the big sled, the GS is more like a 5 series BMW. Different character altogether.

I think you'll like the LS - and they don't lack power at all. They are so smooth they'll fool you as to just how quick and fast they are.

I found that the LS400 drove itself. The BMW, you have to drive it. The LS 400, had a smoother ride and was extremely quiet. I think I will go for the LS430 and are the Satnav very good or an aftermarket thing like Tomtom is good enough? I do not have Satnav in the BMw either and use a Tomtom. I was told that the LS430 had a major change in 2003 but the price difference is that great too.

Aside from the power and modern touch upgrades to my 01 GS430 from my former 95' LS400, I like the ride of the GS better actually. In comparison of the two's ride qualitites, I find the GS to be quite smooth actually, and not "floaty" like the LS seemed to be at times, even with all the new suspension and struts I put on it. No doubt the GS is smaller, and feels smaller in the cabin too. It's a "tighter" fit, but still quite comfortable. Maybe my shocks are softening up, but the GS feels a lot heavier that it is, and does give that "floaty" feel at times. But, what I like about it over the LS though, is the ability to take a corner and not scrape the paint off the side mirrors. I am surprised at how flat the car feels when making turns. But, I agree, it's no LS in several areas. Just as SRK says, it's more inline with the 5 series BMW. And, incertain areas too, the 5 series is no 7.

In terms of power, the 4.3 V8 has plenty of teeth to overpower the car in a passing situation, easily. With 300 hp's and 325lb's of torque, it'll scoot with asked, no doubt about that. But, it won't do it in a manner you're probably used to with your 7 series. The power is very very deceptive. You have to watch the speedo climb to realize the power.

Either way though, I doubt you'd be unhappy with either choice. There is a reason though why you don't see alot of used GS430's of that body style for sale "that aren't either very high mileage, time for the timing belt repair, or clearly not well taken care of". But for a true cruiser with all the creature comforts of such, the LS is the real winner, hands down.

It is my understanding that 2nd Gen. GS' are larger inside than LS' of same years. I know that the cars are smaller. But in terms of actual interior room they one up the LS of that time period.

Never sat in an LS though so I couldnt tell you what it feels like.

• 3 months later...