Transmission Fluid Change For 05 Rx330

AznMechanic

I was wondering how often I should change the transmission fluid.

The dealer said every 30,000 miles but I checked the fluid and its little bit dark so I was thinking every 15,000 miles or maybe little bit over 15000 miles just for insurance because it doesn't cost a lot.

Should I just use the Toyota Transmission T-IV fluid or is there a better alternative fluid thats better than Toyota's and meets their specs?

At last do I have to change the gasket, filter and stuff or just the fluid?

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

The dealer said every 30,000 miles but I checked the fluid and its little bit dark so I was thinking every 15,000 miles or maybe little bit over 15000 miles just for insurance because it doesn't cost a lot.

Should I just use the Toyota Transmission T-IV fluid or is there a better alternative fluid thats better than Toyota's and meets their specs?

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

You didn't say how many miles are on your RX, or if you bought it new. There are several ways you can do it. Since it has a drain plug, unlike most AT's today, you can simply pull the plug, drain and fill the pan. The problem is that only changes about 4 qts. and doesn't change the filter. I don't believe the filter needs to be changed every time you change the fluid. I personally prefer to pull the cooler line and pump it all out and change the filter about every 30k mi. but most seem to choose going the easy way which is simple pan drain and fill about every 15k mi. That's one man's opinion and I'm sure you'll get others. You'll get different opinions on this also, but I believe the OEM T-IV is adequate and will give you good service. I would NOT have a flush done. Some people have no problem with a flush, but I have read of too many who have had tranny problems soon after a flush (of all makes), I believe because of debris that gets moved into critical valve areas that otherwise would have been no problem. No flush for me!

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

You didn't say how many miles are on your RX, or if you bought it new. There are several ways you can do it. Since it has a drain plug, unlike most AT's today, you can simply pull the plug, drain and fill the pan. The problem is that only changes about 4 qts. and doesn't change the filter. I don't believe the filter needs to be changed every time you change the fluid. I personally prefer to pull the cooler line and pump it all out and change the filter about every 30k mi. but most seem to choose going the easy way which is simple pan drain and fill about every 15k mi. That's one man's opinion and I'm sure you'll get others. You'll get different opinions on this also, but I believe the OEM T-IV is adequate and will give you good service. I would NOT have a flush done. Some people have no problem with a flush, but I have read of too many who have had tranny problems soon after a flush (of all makes), I believe because of debris that gets moved into critical valve areas that otherwise would have been no problem. No flush for me!

Morning Roger! How do you know which trans line is going to the radiator cooler and which is the return? When you pump out from the cooler line, do you get everything or do you leave behind what is in the torque converter? Thanks.

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

My car has about 46000milles on it. Transmission fluid was changed around 32000miles by lexus and I heard a lot about lexus transmission failures so I decided to go around 15000miles intervals.

What do you mean pull the cooler line and pump it all out? How do you do that?

Also how are most AT's today? They are not drain plugs? Then what are they now?

Also should i buy 80W-90 gear oil and change the differential fluid and transfer case as well?

Thanks a lot!!!

Morning Roger! How do you know which trans line is going to the radiator cooler and which is the return? When you pump out from the cooler line, do you get everything or do you leave behind what is in the torque converter? Thanks.

Hi Artbuc- from what I remember the line you want to take of is the drivers side, bottom of the radiator. Remove the clamp and put a 3/8 hose (I use a clear plastic) on the tube that comes out of the radiator. Put that in a jug, bucket or drain pan, whatever will hold a few qts. of fluid. What I did was drain and remove the pan and change the filter first and once having replaced the pan, fill with about 4 qts. of fluid. If you have help, have them start the car and as soon as you see the 1st. sign of air have them shut it off. Refill the trans. pan with 4 more qts. of fluid and do the same thing a 2nd. time. You know it holds less than 10 qts. TOTAL so you're almost done. When you fill the pan for the 3rd time, you should be able to tell your helper to shut it off when you see clean fluid come through, because this time you won't be pumping the pan dry. Some have worried about running the pump dry, it is all bathed in oil, I don't think there is any chance of doing any damage since it is shut off while it is still bathed. This changes the complete system, including TC, because it is drawn from the pan and since your return line isn't hooked up, there is no return of dirty fluid. I have actually done it this way alone when no one was available to help, by just watching the output of dirty fluid and running to shut off at the 1st hint of air. The amount of fluid to fill completely pretty much matches the manuals "dry" fill figure, so I know I'm changing it ALL. I much prefer this method to change it all at 1 time since they quit putting drain plugs in TC's. (My '99 F-150 was the last vehicle I've owned that had a TC drain plug).

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

My car has about 46000milles on it. Transmission fluid was changed around 32000miles by lexus and I heard a lot about lexus transmission failures so I decided to go around 15000miles intervals.

Also should i buy 80W-90 gear oil and change the differential fluid and transfer case as well?

Thanks a lot!!!

AZnM- How does your fluid look? With that low of miles, and having been changed at 32k, I wouldn't be so inclined to tell you that it needs a complete change. If the fluid is brown at all, maybe so, but if it is quite pink yet, you may be fine with 15k mi. drains, that's up to you. I don't know if the later ones (noticed your is a '05) have the trans. problems that the earlier ones did, I'm sure they had a chance to learn from their mistakes by then. You also didn't say whether it is front wheel drive or all wheel drive (FWD-AWD) I don't think the FWD had the problems that the AWD did because there was more strain on the AWD.

You should have a drain plug (takes a LARGE allen wrench) on the trans. pan. Most trans. pans haven't had drain plugs for a long time. You lucked out. If you have AWD, you should have another drain plug on the front transfer case, drain that also, only holds about 1/2 qt. from what I remember. It's common with the trans fluid, but must be drained separate. I don't honestly remember about front gearing, if there is any 80W-90 used there or not. There is in the rear but didn't even change it at over 100k mi. on my DIL's RX, because when I pulled the plug it came gushing out (was actually overfull) and looked brand new. I personally would pretty much go by the manual as far as changes on the gear oil because so many of them use synthetic now and don't even call for a change. I don't run high miles on my vehicles now (like I used to in my younger days- 25k mi. a year), and have never actually changed gear oil. Be sure you don't put gear oil in the front case where it is fed from the trans. That would be a mess. A lot of cars now use trans. fluid in the transfer case and even in manual trans. You drain the front case of that 1/2 qt. but you don't have to fill it, it is fed from the tranny. Double check that, but my DIL's '99RX was that way. If you decide you want to pump it all out, refer to my reply to Artbuc. Good Luck!

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot!!!

AZnM- How does your fluid look? With that low of miles, and having been changed at 32k, I wouldn't be so inclined to tell you that it needs a complete change. If the fluid is brown at all, maybe so, but if it is quite pink yet, you may be fine with 15k mi. drains, that's up to you. I don't know if the later ones (noticed your is a '05) have the trans. problems that the earlier ones did, I'm sure they had a chance to learn from their mistakes by then. You also didn't say whether it is front wheel drive or all wheel drive (FWD-AWD) I don't think the FWD had the problems that the AWD did because there was more strain on the AWD.

You should have a drain plug (takes a LARGE allen wrench) on the trans. pan. Most trans. pans haven't had drain plugs for a long time. You lucked out. If you have AWD, you should have another drain plug on the front transfer case, drain that also, only holds about 1/2 qt. from what I remember. It's common with the trans fluid, but must be drained separate. I don't honestly remember about front gearing, if there is any 80W-90 used there or not. There is in the rear but didn't even change it at over 100k mi. on my DIL's RX, because when I pulled the plug it came gushing out (was actually overfull) and looked brand new. I personally would pretty much go by the manual as far as changes on the gear oil because so many of them use synthetic now and don't even call for a change. I don't run high miles on my vehicles now (like I used to in my younger days- 25k mi. a year), and have never actually changed gear oil. Be sure you don't put gear oil in the front case where it is fed from the trans. That would be a mess. A lot of cars now use trans. fluid in the transfer case and even in manual trans. You drain the front case of that 1/2 qt. but you don't have to fill it, it is fed from the tranny. Double check that, but my DIL's '99RX was that way. If you decide you want to pump it all out, refer to my reply to Artbuc. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for the info but are you positive that the transfer case is fed by the tranny? because I looked at my manual's chassis section and it says transfer holds 1qt SAE 90 or SAE 80W or SAE 80W-90. Also should I take the pan down and change the filter and all? Would that be a flush?

thanks a lot in advance!!!

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks a lot for the info but are you positive that the transfer case is fed by the tranny? because I looked at my manual's chassis section and it says transfer holds 1qt SAE 90 or SAE 80W or SAE 80W-90. Also should I take the pan down and change the filter and all? Would that be a flush?

Sorry AznMechanic- I probably should have said transaxle. You never have said whether you have FWD or AWD. The AWD should have a transfer case that takes the power to the rear wheels. The transfer case should take SAE 80W-90 as shoiuld the rear axle. The transaxle shares the T-IV with the transmission. At least that's the way it is on my DIL's '99RX. There is a second plug to drain the transaxle (you'll only get about a half qt. out and you fill it in common with the transmission through the trans. fill hole where the dipstick goes. If you have a FWD, you may not have the need for the SAE 80W-90 in the front. The reason it is so confusing (the 1 I'm familiar with is my DIL's '99RX which is AWD), is when I did a search to try and figure the nomenclature, after reading scores of posts, they seemed to be as confused about what the nomenclature (even got a different answer from almost every every Toyota and Lexus mechanic they talked to) was at the end as when they started. Best thing I can tell you is FOLLOW YOUR MANUAL once you are sure which you have, AWD vs FWD.

Pan and filter is simply pan and filter- that's not a flush. That has to be done with a machine and I personally recommend against it. Under your circumstances, I would say you are probably OK with just the drain and fill (no filter or pan drop because of as new as it is and as few miles as you have) Remember, they made changes to the later ones that should cause you not to have the worries of the older ones anyway. Should take 4 qts. or so if done that way.

Also how do I change it?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot!!!

Sorry AznMechanic- I probably should have said transaxle. You never have said whether you have FWD or AWD. The AWD should have a transfer case that takes the power to the rear wheels. The transfer case should take SAE 80W-90 as shoiuld the rear axle. The transaxle shares the T-IV with the transmission. At least that's the way it is on my DIL's '99RX. There is a second plug to drain the transaxle (you'll only get about a half qt. out and you fill it in common with the transmission through the trans. fill hole where the dipstick goes. If you have a FWD, you may not have the need for the SAE 80W-90 in the front. The reason it is so confusing (the 1 I'm familiar with is my DIL's '99RX which is AWD), is when I did a search to try and figure the nomenclature, after reading scores of posts, they seemed to be as confused about what the nomenclature (even got a different answer from almost every every Toyota and Lexus mechanic they talked to) was at the end as when they started. Best thing I can tell you is FOLLOW YOUR MANUAL once you are sure which you have, AWD vs FWD.

Pan and filter is simply pan and filter- that's not a flush. That has to be done with a machine and I personally recommend against it. Under your circumstances, I would say you are probably OK with just the drain and fill (no filter or pan drop because of as new as it is and as few miles as you have) Remember, they made changes to the later ones that should cause you not to have the worries of the older ones anyway. Should take 4 qts. or so if done that way.

Do you know where the transaxle drain plug is located? what is it near? So if i put in the fluid through the dipstick hole, it will go to the tranxaxle?

Do you think i should change the transfer case gear oil and the rear axle gear oil?

Thanks a lot!

Do you know where the transaxle drain plug is located? what is it near? So if i put in the fluid through the dipstick hole, it will go to the tranxaxle?

Do you think i should change the transfer case gear oil and the rear axle gear oil?

Thanks a lot!

AznMechanic- I'm gonna ask one last time and then I'm gonna stay out of this. DO YOU HAVE AWD OR FWD? If FWD, I don' think you have a transfer case, only transaxle. The drain plug for the transaxle is easy to find. It's on the bottom area of the transaxle- is also an Allen.

Transaxle is fed the 1/2 qt. or so through the dipstick hole AUTOMATICALLY.

At 46k mi., in my opinion it should not need those fluids changed (unless your owners manual recommends it, which I doubt.) (TC gear oil and rear axle oil, IF YOU HAVE AWD.)

Thanks a lot!

AznMechanic- I'm gonna ask one last time and then I'm gonna stay out of this. DO YOU HAVE AWD OR FWD? If FWD, I don' think you have a transfer case, only transaxle. The drain plug for the transaxle is easy to find. It's on the bottom area of the transaxle- is also an Allen.

Transaxle is fed the 1/2 qt. or so through the dipstick hole AUTOMATICALLY.

At 46k mi., in my opinion it should not need those fluids changed (unless your owners manual recommends it, which I doubt.) (TC gear oil and rear axle oil, IF YOU HAVE AWD.)

I have an AWD I went underneath the car today but i cant find the transmission drain plug. Do I have to take the plastic cover off?

Is the transaxle infront of the transmission drain plug or behind?

Thanks for everything!