Rx300 Rattling Sound On Acceleration

rsakhan

I wonder if someone can give useful suggestion. My 1999 RX300 is producing rattling sound when pressing the gas and gets better when foot is off paddle. No problem with gear changes and power. I have been using premium Gas. I wonder where is the problem? I will appreciate if someone have experience in dealing with this. The sound can be reasonably loud and harsh and can be very annoying.

thanks

I wonder if someone can give useful suggestion. My 1999 RX300 is producing rattling sound when pressing the gas and gets better when foot is off paddle. No problem with gear changes and power. I have been using premium Gas. I wonder where is the problem? I will appreciate if someone have experience in dealing with this. The sound can be reasonably loud and harsh and can be very annoying.

thanks

Do you know what pre-detonation sounds like? (spark knock) If that is what it is it may be that your knock sensor(s) needs to be replaced. If it is spark knock, that's not good because that can damage your engine. Have you had a check engine light come on? I would definitely get the codes (or pending codes checked) I wouldn't drive it far that way .

You didn't state where the rattling sound appeared to be coming from, but one possibility is a failed catalytic converter. The easiest way to isolate this particular failure is to lower your drivers window, go through a drive-up lane at a bank or fast-food joint, and listen for a substantial increase in the rattling as the sound waves bounce off the building wall back to you. 95% of the time, this indicates a failed catalytic converter....

thanks

I started complaining about this on another site. I tried various gas brands and octanes, seafoam treatment, PCV cleaning, RedLine cleaner in the tank, etc. Nothing seemed to work very well and about 6 months later I get P0330. This is a knock sensor code, I tried putting it off and trying other things but it would com on every week or so. I wound up replacing them and the problem went away.

My sound was like a bunch of small gravels in the engine when hitting the 4,000 RPM mark on acceleration.

I was busy with work and did not get the chance to take it to the autoshop. I was coming back from work and at the freeway. It sudden made few noises as something was breaking and a dark smoke came and I had to stop at the side. Whole engine oil leaked out. I guess whole engine is gone and I got AA people to tow it to the autoshop. Thanks guys for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
I was busy with work and did not get the chance to take it to the autoshop. I was coming back from work and at the freeway. It sudden made few noises as something was breaking and a dark smoke came and I had to stop at the side. Whole engine oil leaked out. I guess whole engine is gone and I got AA people to tow it to the autoshop. Thanks guys for the replies.

I had the same thing happen to me!!! IT IS PURE HELL!!!!! My rods in my engine ended up going out so now I have to buy a whole new engine... :censored: There is a great site called everdrive.com that has engines with 3yr unlimited mileage warranty where if anything happens, they replace the engine!

Have Fun!!! :wacko: