Stuck Iacv

Banshee365

Hey guy's. I tested my '96 IACV as per some factory looking instructions that were posted on this forum. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=7853 on page 8. While grounding S1-S4 over and over the valve doesn't move. It makes a clicking sound but doesn't move. It also doesn't move grounding from S4-S1 to open the valve. It just makes a clicking noise. I can't afford $700 for a new valve right now for this car and have tried cleaning this one with valvoline carb cleaner and a wire brush on a drill etc... It's still stuck. Looks like it's a sealed unit and it's unable to be rebuilt or taken apart. Are there any special techniques to unstick these things or do I just have to replace it? What's the best way to replace it? New or a salvage yard? I've got a call into one now and he's checking for me but the engines he has sitting around have 140k-250k miles and I don't see how the IACV could be any good unless it's been replaced recently. Any advice? Thanks!

-Kelly

post-88814-1244487666.jpg

Well the fact that it makes some noise is a little encouraging. Sounds like it’s just jammed. Can you remove it from the car and soak the inside with some carb cleaner to loosen up the gunk and they try some WD40 or equiv to get some lubrication back into the moving surfaces (carb cleaner will kill all the lube). Maybe fill it up and leave it overnight to see what happens.

From the photo it looks like the electrical actuator can be removed with a screw. Maybe pulling that off gets you to the linkage and you can maybe try to manipulate that by hand. I suspect if you get it started it will eventually break free.

Also the part isn’t quite as nasty as $700. Parts.com has it for $456 and maybe you can get non OEM equiv for less at Autozone or the like. Maybe that lowers your pain threshold.

post-88814-1244487324_thumb.jpg

post-88814-1244487512_thumb.jpg

post-88814-1244487614_thumb.jpg

Hey CuriousB, thanks for the reply. That's not quite the valve that is in the 96 LS that you have pictured. This one doesn't come apart but I could try soaking it in WD40 overnight and see what happens. I'll only replace with another Denso unit because I've heard when it comes to IACV's you go OEM only because of the calibration and how it must interact with the ECU. I'll try soaking it in WD and see if I can get some action out of it.

Has anyone else been able to free these things up after frozen?

I don't know if I would be filling the IACV with WD-40 overnight...

Clean it with some sensor safe stuff.. (ie: Valvoline SYN)

I have never heard of it being necessary to "re-oil" it or anything.. Just basically clean out the black crap, and put it back in.

A new gasket would be a keen idea.

95-97 IACV Gasket: 22278-50011

How much should the valve move after each pass of grounding out the S1-S4 pins? I sat there for a few minutes and got the valve to open and close but it took longer than I thought it would. I figured it would close and open rather quickly. Any thoughts?

Not sure but I suspect it should be pretty quick (1-2 seconds max). The fact you have movement is a good sign. Didn’t you say it was fully seized when you started? Maybe keep dousing it with cleaner and force it to move to work in the cleaner. I think the principal behind this actuator is that there are a few coils in different positions and they are driven with a square wave signals. The duty cycle of that square wave (ratio of on time to off time) determines how open the valve is. So you probably can’t simulate this signal with jumper wires so your test is an open or closed test. That said did you check resistance of each of the coils per the test procedure for the IACV? If one of the coils is open circuit it could cause strange behavior.

There is a pdf posted on this site with the detailed test procedure for the IACV in case you haven’t seen it yet. Just search for it.

my mechanic cleaned mine~ IACV ~with Lucas upper cylinder and fuel injector cleaner, and it works great....It has an oily base, and is a great lubricant also. That stuff is great to add to your gas...keeps everything clean.