Full Synthetic For Rx?

I know Lexus doesn't required full synthetic oil for the RX line up, but do any of you actually use full synthetic oil here? If so, what benefit have you seen? Do you do it at home, bring the oil to the dealer, or have the dealer use their full synthetic oil?

I am thinking about using full synthetic for one reason - longer change intervals. I do this for two of my other cars, although nether one accumulates more than 6000 miles in one year (my change interval). The important factor is knowing that your oil filter can handle the extended length of time between changes. The only way to know that is to have your old oil tested by a lab like Blackstone labs.

My guess is that a good quality oil filter and synthetic oil can last 12,000 miles.

I like to use all synthetic because of the 100+ degree summer temps here in Las Vegas. As far as I know, the synthetic oils maintain their integrity better in extreme heat.

It's more expensive, but I change the oil less frequently. I've read that people go up to 10k miles between oil changes, but I set my interval at 6k because of the oil filter. With the hybrid, I'm not sure how many of those miles are actually under ICE power, but I'm guessing at least 4500.

While the engine does seem to run smoother (which I'm sure is all in my mind), I'm not aware of any power gains or other benefits besides potentially less sludge and wear in the long run.

I do my own oil changes on my 400h; lots of clearance and easy. I'm using Mobil 1, which is currently $22.00 at Walmart, and changing every 5000 miles.

Tom

I do my own oil changes on my 400h; lots of clearance and easy. I'm using Mobil 1, which is currently $22.00 at Walmart, and changing every 5000 miles.

Tom

Costco just had a $10 coupon that brought it down to about the same price as Walmart. I'm thinking with the longer changeout, the price is a bit less than using regular oil. Just started using Mobile1 5w-30 about a year ago, 10,000 mile intervals. Next winter I think I'll go with 0w-30 to aid in the 1st 10 minute mpg warmup. Anyone have experience using this?

Tom

Costco just had a $10 coupon that brought it down to about the same price as Walmart. I'm thinking with the longer changeout, the price is a bit less than using regular oil. Just started using Mobile1 5w-30 about a year ago, 10,000 mile intervals. Next winter I think I'll go with 0w-30 to aid in the 1st 10 minute mpg warmup. Anyone have experience using this?

I didn't see the Costco coupon, but was surprised that Costco was considerably higher than Walmart, although Costco does sell Mobil 1 in quarts vs Walmart's 5 quart container, which are a bit easier to handle.

I know I could go longer than 5000 miles but the oil changes are so easy on our vehicles I just go ahead and do it.

I know Porsche guys who are using 0w30 for that extra HP or two, but I just don't want to push it.

Tom

Really, there should be no disadvantage to using a 0W-30 or 0W-40 oil over a 5W-30 oil. The only reason I use 5W-30 is because it is so widely available. I once spoke to a Mobil 1 technical applications person who told me that he uses Mobile 1 0W-40 in the heat of Texas. He did tell me that 10W-30 oil is essentially obsolete, as it offers no advantages over 5W-30 or 0W-30 oils.