Ok, Ok. Which Is Bank 2?

ukfan4sure!

So I've been having problems for 2 fricking years with this POS RX300 stumbling, faltering, and dying just whenever it feels like it. I might run 2 months or more with no problems and then BAM! --- it'll die for no reason. Start it again and it'll die again. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it'll do fine till the next time it wants to do it again. Maybe a week or maybe 6 months.

It was throwing codes, P1350 being one of them. So I replaced what I thought was the bank 2 cam sensor, the front one (the easy one).

Well later it did it again and I've been putting up with it for a LOOOOONG time.

Dealer time, right?

Well, I explain to the nice little gal that I've already spent the money on a sensor for the front bank (bank 2 right?) with zero success.

The receipt reads as follows:

...."Could not duplicate concern. But did find a code P1350 VVT sensor Circuit Malfuntion. No problems found in Live Data but did see problem in freeze frame data saved with code. Diagonosis at this tiem is to replace cam position sensor bank 2."

They replaced according, to the nice little gal, the sensor closest to the firewall. I sure hope so or they wasted my money putting in a part I already replaced.

Who doesn't know what they are talkiing about? Me or them?

Thanks!!

So I've been having problems for 2 fricking years with this POS RX300 stumbling, faltering, and dying just whenever it feels like it. I might run 2 months or more with no problems and then BAM! --- it'll die for no reason. Start it again and it'll die again. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it'll do fine till the next time it wants to do it again. Maybe a week or maybe 6 months.

It was throwing codes, P1350 being one of them. So I replaced what I thought was the bank 2 cam sensor, the front one (the easy one).

Well later it did it again and I've been putting up with it for a LOOOOONG time.

Dealer time, right?

Well, I explain to the nice little gal that I've already spent the money on a sensor for the front bank (bank 2 right?) with zero success.

The receipt reads as follows:

...."Could not duplicate concern. But did find a code P1350 VVT sensor Circuit Malfuntion. No problems found in Live Data but did see problem in freeze frame data saved with code. Diagonosis at this tiem is to replace cam position sensor bank 2."

They replaced according, to the nice little gal, the sensor closest to the firewall. I sure hope so or they wasted my money putting in a part I already replaced.

Who doesn't know what they are talkiing about? Me or them?

Thanks!!

UK fan- Just a small clue- this is a Lexuz forum- most of the people here like their Lexus, even though they may not always be happy with them when they're having problems with them. You would experience a lot more success in finding help with a more respectful approach to you question. You catch a lot more of WHATEVER you want to catch with honey than vinegar. The choice is yours.

In response to your question- you are absolutely right, P1350 is VVT sensor circuit malfunction, bank 2, which is the front one, which you said you already changed. IF they in fact changed the rear one, that should have been P1345. A whole lot of guys who are service writers don't know what they're talking about, I suspect fewer gals do. Don't throw rocks at me, that's not a slam at ANYONE who is a writer who does, just my experience after way too many years working for dealers that writers are SALESPEOPLE, not technicians and know very little about what they are actually selling, which is SERVICE.

UK fan- Just a small clue- this is a Lexuz forum- most of the people here like their Lexus, even though they may not always be happy with them when they're having problems with them. You would experience a lot more success in finding help with a more respectful approach to you question. You catch a lot more of WHATEVER you want to catch with honey than vinegar. The choice is yours.

In response to your question- you are absolutely right, P1350 is VVT sensor circuit malfunction, bank 2, which is the front one, which you said you already changed. IF they in fact changed the rear one, that should have been P1345. A whole lot of guys who are service writers don't know what they're talking about, I suspect fewer gals do. Don't throw rocks at me, that's not a slam at ANYONE who is a writer who does, just my experience after way too many years working for dealers that writers are SALESPEOPLE, not technicians and know very little about what they are actually selling, which is SERVICE.

Roger, you are right as usual. I stopped reading this post at "the nice little gal" comment. My wife's RX has been a great care overall. Fortunately I am able and willing to do all maintenance/repair work so my experience with Lexus dealerships is limited. I have dealt with two: Wilke Lexus and Lexus of Wilmington. I can tell you that both of these dealerships are dishonest and/or incompetent and I have several stories to back-up that claim. Every once in awhile I tell one of those stories - it serves as therapy. I am in the mood this morning so I offer up this little gem re Wilke.

Going back a few years when RX was still under drivetrain warranty, rear CV boots started to throw grease. After at least 30 minutes of talking and showing the warranty statement to the service writer, I was able to convince her that the drive axles are part of the drive train. Then I was told that my wife must rountinely drive the car 85+ mph on a turnpike because that is the only possible cause of the grease leak. I said "no, my wife never drives the car 85 mph on the turnpike or anywhere else." Then I was told that ALL RX's throw grease out of the rear CV joints. I said, "Ok, you have at least a dozen used RX's on the lot so let's look at them." After looking at 4 or 5, the writer said she would replace the boots under warranty. Got home and looked at the new boots. They were elongated and had "walked" down the shaft. It was obvious that the technician had not placed the clamp in the recessed groove on the axle shaft which allowed the boot to walk. Had to drive 35 miles back to Lexus. Big argument ensued. Service Manager walked into the waiting area and announced that the tech examined the boots and declared they were perfectly fine. He invited me into the service area so the tech could explain that directly to me. When we got there he had the axle out. I picked-up the axle and slid the boot up/down the axle and explained to both of them that there is a groove machined in the axle to receive the boot clamp and that is the problem. They both looked at me sheepishly. Walking out I asked the manager if the tech is incompetent or a liar. He said "I really don't want to answer that question." After another big argument, they agreed to install brand new axles. But, the free coffee and red rose made all of that hassle worth it. Yeah, right.

I am still concerned about the problem, Could have sludge building up in the engine causing the cam sensors codes. That is what happened to my neighbor on his Highlander.

I would have the valve cover pulled and take a look. The sludge builds up and causes the sensor to bind up. Good luck.... by the way I could tell my war storey with Roseville Lexus whom I had to finally inspect the car on the rack before I drove off. They would leave so much damage after service that I absolutely would not trust them. example after replacing the tranny they only put 3 bolts in to hold transmission to engine, tie rods were disconnected completely and rubbing on the brake lines, Hoses and wiring not put together, axle shaft not seated properly in tranny. This was 4 different visits, and I soon learned I was a better mechanic than they were. When you get a hoseclamp service rep that tries to bull&*&&*( you run, and find another dealer.

Thanks for the "clue" on the Lexuz forum. More importantly, thanks for the answer. I would have hoped you could sense from my tone that I had just paid close to $250 for them to give me conflicting information about which sensor they replaced, after TELLING "the nice young gal" I had already replaced bank 2's cam sensor due to a P1350 code. The reason I stated "nice young gal" is that when I questioned her about which bank, she immediately went into defensive mode as if I was picking on her intelligence/knowledge because she was a woman. I could care less if she was a Vulcan from StarTrek as long as she fixes my car.

I've had problems with this car since I first purchased it. Nothing but frustations with this situation; period. I know this is not typical of Lexus products, but I can only speak to MY experiences. When your wife would rather drive the Jeep Wrangler than your plush Lexus, you know you have a right to call it a POS. We can't trust this car and it looks like the dealership is only going to swap parts (if they actually know bank 1 from bank 2) until their 401K's allow retirement or I sell it, whichever comes first.

So the paperwork says P1350, bank 2 and SHE tells me it's the REAR closest to the firewall. She also is "99% sure" this will fix my problem. Well, bank 2 is the FRONT, so now I'm feeling crapped on as I suspected would happen all along by going to a dealer where the technician reads some obscure stored code data from who knows what caused by who knows what. The engine sensing a screw up in the cam timing could be caused by a miriad of things it seems to me. Maybe a loss in fuel pressure causing the engine to stumble?

Anyhow, looks like I have yet another Lexus fight on my hands, but this time with the dealership.

Sorry if in my anger and 2 years worth of insecurity with this car I offended anyone here.

But personally, I'll NEVER own another Lexus..... :angry:

I am still concerned about the problem, Could have sludge building up in the engine causing the cam sensors codes. That is what happened to my neighbor on his Highlander.

I would have the valve cover pulled and take a look. The sludge builds up and causes the sensor to bind up. Good luck.... by the way I could tell my war storey with Roseville Lexus whom I had to finally inspect the car on the rack before I drove off. They would leave so much damage after service that I absolutely would not trust them. example after replacing the tranny they only put 3 bolts in to hold transmission to engine, tie rods were disconnected completely and rubbing on the brake lines, Hoses and wiring not put together, axle shaft not seated properly in tranny. This was 4 different visits, and I soon learned I was a better mechanic than they were. When you get a hoseclamp service rep that tries to bull&*&&*( you run, and find another dealer.

Already pulled the cover. Clean as a whistle. The engine has been VERY well taken care of with Mobil 1 changes at 7K miles each.

Ditto on the better mechanic. I own 3 BMW's and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in addtion to this RX. I KNOW how to wrench. But this problem is beyond the scope of my technical equipment ( probably need a code SCANNER or better) and my knowledge.

The next closest dealer is in Lexington, 90 miles away.

Thanks for the "clue" on the Lexuz forum. More importantly, thanks for the answer. I would have hoped you could sense from my tone that I had just paid close to $250 for them to give me conflicting information about which sensor they replaced, after TELLING "the nice young gal" I had already replaced bank 2's cam sensor due to a P1350 code. The reason I stated "nice young gal" is that when I questioned her about which bank, she immediately went into defensive mode as if I was picking on her intelligence/knowledge because she was a woman. I could care less if she was a Vulcan from StarTrek as long as she fixes my car.

I've had problems with this car since I first purchased it. Nothing but frustations with this situation; period. I know this is not typical of Lexus products, but I can only speak to MY experiences. When your wife would rather drive the Jeep Wrangler than your plush Lexus, you know you have a right to call it a POS. We can't trust this car and it looks like the dealership is only going to swap parts (if they actually know bank 1 from bank 2) until their 401K's allow retirement or I sell it, whichever comes first.

So the paperwork says P1350, bank 2 and SHE tells me it's the REAR closest to the firewall. She also is "99% sure" this will fix my problem. Well, bank 2 is the FRONT, so now I'm feeling crapped on as I suspected would happen all along by going to a dealer where the technician reads some obscure stored code data from who knows what caused by who knows what. The engine sensing a screw up in the cam timing could be caused by a miriad of things it seems to me. Maybe a loss in fuel pressure causing the engine to stumble?

Anyhow, looks like I have yet another Lexus fight on my hands, but this time with the dealership.

Sorry if in my anger and 2 years worth of insecurity with this car I offended anyone here.

UK- believe me, I understand your frustration. And from me to you, it is valid. Just that when we type something like this in the heat of the frustration, it often becomes counterproductive.

Artbuc & Lenore (as well as UK fan), you understand when I started working in the dealership on Sat. and summer vacation when I was in my teens, I decided right then, if I couldn't do better than what people payed good money to have done professionally, I would give up driving and walk. I have known some really outstanding mechanics over the years, but all too many of the rest made me embarrassed to be in the automotive field. It is one of the major reasons I have done my own work ALL my life and try and help anyone who needs the help and doesn't know where to go to get it done right, because I don't know most of the time where to tell them either. I truly feel for the people who have no idea or are unable to do the work themselves. It's one of the reasons I reach out to them.

here is a thread on the p1350 from cl site: picture in frame 2

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-g...controller.html

Lenore- Did you realize that was ukfan4sure's thread from a year ago? :D

no I didnt, was a long day yesterday, too tired to notice....thanks code 58

UK- believe me, I understand your frustration. And from me to you, it is valid. Just that when we type something like this in the heat of the frustration, it often becomes counterproductive.

Artbuc & Lenore (as well as UK fan), you understand when I started working in the dealership on Sat. and summer vacation when I was in my teens, I decided right then, if I couldn't do better than what people payed good money to have done professionally, I would give up driving and walk. I have known some really outstanding mechanics over the years, but all too many of the rest made me embarrassed to be in the automotive field. It is one of the major reasons I have done my own work ALL my life and try and help anyone who needs the help and doesn't know where to go to get it done right, because I don't know most of the time where to tell them either. I truly feel for the people who have no idea or are unable to do the work themselves. It's one of the reasons I reach out to them.

Yeah, thanks. I haven't had a car to a dealership in YEARS. Like I said, I know more than most of them and if I have to go to a dealership, you can bet it is an amazingly daunting problem. As you've already dug up, this problem had been going on FOREVER! Only to have them screw up in this basic, elemental way only confirms my thoughts on most of the tech's and service reps competence. I paid, in MY view, $250 bucks for nothing. I might have well lit a cigar with two Franklins and a Grant.

The real topper? I paid for a "Deluxe" warranty to cover things like this at a cost of over $2000 (I THINK) when I bought the car. Guess what? ....."uh, we don't cover cam sensors"..... Pure icing on the cake.

here is a thread on the p1350 from cl site: picture in frame 2

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-g...controller.html

Lenore- Did you realize that was ukfan4sure's thread from a year ago? :D

no I didnt, was a long day yesterday, too tired to notice....thanks code 58

Been there, done that Lenore. Think nothing of it, you did the right thing by trying to help!