2000 Rx300 - Planning For A Long Trip- Need Help

OK, so my wife and I (young, broke professional students) have a hand-me-down, well cared for, 2000 Lexus RX300 with 173,000 miles on it.

At the end of June we are taking this vehicle (bravely) on a 1000 mile trip from MD to FL to visit my parents. I'm trying to tune up and check/change all fluids I possibly can before going on this trip to reduce chances of breaking down on the way.

I recently changed the oil myself, 5w/30 full syn mobil one with filter within the last 2-3k miles.

the trans fluid was changed around 150k miles (20k miles ago)

the radiator fluid was also flushed somewhere around 150k miles (20k miles ago)

brakes just replaced by me, rotors and pads, bled and great

brake fluid changed/flushed at 150k miles (20k miles ago)

Currently we are struggling with a Band 2 sensor 1 error code we pulled off the car from autozone today but I just removed bank 2 sensor (front sensor) and will pickup/replace that tomorrow hoping that will solve the problems. Prior to deciding to replace the O2 sensor I did use MAF sensor cleaner and cleaned the MAF- reset the check engine light but it came back on after about 30min of driving.

ARE THERE any other things that I should look into changing/replacing before going on this trip in three weeks?

Thanks guys!

OK, so my wife and I (young, broke professional students) have a hand-me-down, well cared for, 2000 Lexus RX300 with 173,000 miles on it.

At the end of June we are taking this vehicle (bravely) on a 1000 mile trip from MD to FL to visit my parents. I'm trying to tune up and check/change all fluids I possibly can before going on this trip to reduce chances of breaking down on the way.

I recently changed the oil myself, 5w/30 full syn mobil one with filter within the last 2-3k miles.

Currently we are struggling with a Band 2 sensor 1 error code we pulled off the car from autozone today but I just removed bank 2 sensor (front sensor) and will pickup/replace that tomorrow hoping that will solve the problems. Prior to deciding to replace the O2 sensor I did use MAF sensor cleaner and cleaned the MAF- reset the check engine light but it came back on after about 30min of driving.

ARE THERE any other things that I should look into changing/replacing before going on this trip in three weeks?

Thanks guys!

When was the last time or mileage you replaced:

- timing belt

- water pump

- hoses

- spark plugs

- oxygen sensor

- transfer case fluid

- rear differential fluid

Have you ever cleaned the IACV?

when you replace that sensor, dont use bosch. Use original equipment. This engine seems to not like bosch or aftermarket sensors.

when you replace that sensor, dont use bosch. Use original equipment. This engine seems to not like bosch or aftermarket sensors.

'

Great advice Lenore, I sometimes wonder why Bosch (and others) even make sensors for Toyota products (and probably some others). I wouldn't even consider buying anything but Denso for T/L.

Thanks guys!

Do you have the code and can you post it here?

Well I didn't check the post until today and it turned out the replacement sensor I bought was Bosch. I replaced it and drove 140 miles yesterday (to visit family) and vehicle runs great, got 2mpg back+, no engine light. Hopefully it'll hold up. I'm super tempted to just replace the rear bank 1 one pre-emptively.

Like I said we got this vehicle from my father-in-law who takes very good care of his cars at about 150,000 miles. He got it used at low milage and probably put 100+ on it himself.

Pumps,belts and hoses definitely worry me the most but I can't afford the time or money to replace them all so possibly people might be able to mention what to look at and for what signs of things will need replacement?