Timing Belt/water Pump Issues

I bought a new water pump and when I went to replace it I had to remove the timimg belt. When I took the belt off the cam shaft gears moved towards each other. I can put the belt back on without removing the crankshaft pulley, which I can't get to come off anyway. My biggest question is Can you line up the timing mark on the crank pulley to a position that will match the correct position of the crank shaft timing gear? It would seem logical., and that @#$% pulley bolt won't come out. I have read the other posts about using the starter and such and I will have to agree with one of the other posters that that is scarry. :angry:

I don't wouldn't suggest trying to take a shortcut on this. I know the starter trick sounds a little scarry, but there are people that do get away with it. Your other option is to try to rent the biggest impact wrench you can find to take the nut off.

Before you try that, make sure that the valves are out of the way. Take a 1/2 ratchet with the proper socket, and turn the crank thru at least three revolutions by hand, carefully. This will tell you if all the valves are out of the way. If you feel any solid contact, stop, and find out what it is.

I am new to the boards, just joined today. I am also a second time Lexus owner who happens to be Lexus / Toyota certified technician. What you are talking about doing is called bumping in the mechanics world. We do this because the crank bolt can be impossible to get off with impact guns. Some just don't have enough torque to break the bolt loose. Your standard crank bolt requires a 22mm socket. You will also need a half inch breaker bar, at least 18" inches in length. The engine turns in a clockwise manner. Place the socket on the breaker bar and place the socket w/ the breaker bar onto the crank bolt. Make sure the lower end of the bar is touching the ground on the right side of the crank pulley. Remember the engine will spin clockwise so the bar must be in a resting position that will not allow it to move when you do a quick crank of the engine. DO NOT START THE VEHICLE. JUST TURN THE KEY VERY QUICKLY SO THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE BEGINS TO TURN. THEN QUICKLY TURN THE KEY BACK OFF. IT SHOULD BE ONE MOTION (ON/OFF). Do this repeatedly until the crank bolt is loose. I hope that this helps you with your situation. Good Luck!

OK, I got the boly off. Now how is the best way to line the timing gears all back up and get them in the right spot to re-install the belt. I have removed the #1 sparkplug and need a compression guage to locate TDC. But what about the other bank. What do I do there? When I try to turn the camshaft to line up the timing mark, it gets almost where it needs to be and them jumps 8-10 teeth either direction depending on which way I'm turning it. I got a really good deal on this car and I don't want to screw it up by getting the timing wrong and damaging the engine. The Haynes manual I have is clear as mud as to how to do this. Thanks in advance.

I am new to the boards, just joined today. I am also a second time Lexus owner who happens to be Lexus / Toyota certified technician. What you are talking about doing is called bumping in the mechanics world. We do this because the crank bolt can be impossible to get off with impact guns. Some just don't have enough torque to break the bolt loose. Your standard crank bolt requires a 22mm socket. You will also need a half inch breaker bar, at least 18" inches in length. The engine turns in a clockwise manner. Place the socket on the breaker bar and place the socket w/ the breaker bar onto the crank bolt. Make sure the lower end of the bar is touching the ground on the right side of the crank pulley. Remember the engine will spin clockwise so the bar must be in a resting position that will not allow it to move when you do a quick crank of the engine. DO NOT START THE VEHICLE. JUST TURN THE KEY VERY QUICKLY SO THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE BEGINS TO TURN. THEN QUICKLY TURN THE KEY BACK OFF. IT SHOULD BE ONE MOTION (ON/OFF). Do this repeatedly until the crank bolt is loose. I hope that this helps you with your situation. Good Luck!

I too need to replace my timing belt (155,000) and the crankshaft seal on my 98 gs300. A bit confused as to the direction of rotation. By the clockwise rotation of the engine do you mean looking at the engine towards the rear or the other way around.