Ls400 Stalling At Stop Lighs

Banshee365

1996 LS400 with 203k miles is stalling at stop lights. The CEL just came on with a reoccuring code that I thought I fixed. It say's cooling system circuit malfunciton. I've replaced the coolant temp sensor and felt it made a good difference. Several things happened at one time. The CEL came on, rev's go way high at start until you tap the gas to get it back down, and it's started stalling at lights again. Does this seem like it's still an issue with the coolant temp sensor? Maybe the contacts or something?

Could the thermostat cause these symptoms. Personally, I wouldn't think so but am not sure.

Also, the weirdest thing that started happening is... The power steering has gotten hard to turn, even with the car is running fine for the moment. It doesn't return to center like it usually does when you let go out of a turn. I was thinking maybe the pump is going bad and is bogging the engine down but that doesn't really explain why the revs are jumping like crazy after start. The car has recently had new plugs, wires, caps, and rotors.

I really appreciated any help that can be offered, thanks!!

-Kelly

Thanks for the reply Python. I'll check the VAC lines. Wouldn't an EGR issue throw a code? If not, what are some way's to diagnose the EGR valve and whatever else could be causing these issues. I do not have the factory repair manuals. I've also heard about cleaning out a filter/screen on the steering rack, where is that? The power steering seems to work okay at times then out of no where will get really hard to turn. Sounds like it could be something to do with the control valve on the PS pump if it modulates the power of the pump somehow. I'm not sure how this particular system works.

Thanks for the reply Python. I'll check the VAC lines. Wouldn't an EGR issue throw a code? If not, what are some way's to diagnose the EGR valve and whatever else could be causing these issues. I do not have the factory repair manuals. I've also heard about cleaning out a filter/screen on the steering rack, where is that? The power steering seems to work okay at times then out of no where will get really hard to turn. Sounds like it could be something to do with the control valve on the PS pump if it modulates the power of the pump somehow. I'm not sure how this particular system works.

no codes its not the egr system...the valve on the pump regulates how the steering works at lower rpms