2010 Lexus Rx 350

Hello all and let us start a new page with comments and questions about 2010 RX 350. I have been driving around one for the past three weeks and I do not have any words to describe how I feel about the car. My question is about the type of gas I supposed to use. Owner's manual says that I should use premium gas, but they did not say specifically the reason for their recommendation. So, if I use regular gas, do you think I will damage the Engine or fuel system? Or this would simply give me a lower millage? Everyone I spoke to expressed different opinions including Lexus people and mechanics, however everyone failed to backup their claim with facts or evidence. It is true that the book says and it is good for the car and it will give a better millage, however why cannot I use regular gas. Can anyone help? Ask me anything you want about this new SUV and I will be more than happy to share anything with you.

Hello all and let us start a new page with comments and questions about 2010 RX 350. I have been driving around one for the past three weeks and I do not have any words to describe how I feel about the car. My question is about the type of gas I supposed to use. Owner's manual says that I should use premium gas, but they did not say specifically the reason for their recommendation. So, if I use regular gas, do you think I will damage the Engine or fuel system? Or this would simply give me a lower millage? Everyone I spoke to expressed different opinions including Lexus people and mechanics, however everyone failed to backup their claim with facts or evidence. It is true that the book says and it is good for the car and it will give a better millage, however why cannot I use regular gas. Can anyone help? Ask me anything you want about this new SUV and I will be more than happy to share anything with you.

The engine is tuned to use premium fuel. It will "detune" when using lower grade gasoline so the engine will not be damaged (by valve knock). Thus, there will be less power and performance. Lower grade gas can be used but be prepared for sluggish performance as knock is detected and timing is retarded. It is not a pleasant circumstance when merging onto a freeway or passing on a two-lane highway. The savings between the grades of gas is really not significant unless many, many miles are driven. If you have enough money to buy a Lexus you should be able to affort the recommended gas.

The RX 350 forum is large enough to contain comments about the 2010 model. It is not at all crowded. Plus, the 2010 shares many components with earlier models while admittedly there are cosmetic differences.

This doesn't seem to be the correct place for this thread so a moderator out there may want to move it.

• 2 weeks later...
Owner's manual says that I should use premium gas than happy to share anything with you.

This is to everyone asking about which gas to use. Manual says use premium [91 or higher] and your filler cover reminds you again to use premium so you should use premium. Manual also says you can use regular [87 or higher] if premium is not available but not to prolong the use of anything less than 91. I think its silly that Lexus requires premium so we can have 5 more hp compare to the same engine/configuration as Highlander Limited which runs on 87. I guess we get what we paid for :blink: besides, Highlander with AWD is 17/23 verses our RX AWD 18/24 works to equal value at each fillup. Anyone who wants to use regular 87 should move to Highlander as both Highlander and RX are dimensionally identical with near identical mechanics and will also save about $5000. Only thing you will miss is the latest tech stuff like gen 6 navigation, cool HUD, double screen entertainment system, and host of other electronic “gizmos” not found on Highlander. We paid lot more money to carry around Lexus key chain so spend a little more on gas B)

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote

I now use regular grade gasoline . Averaging 22 mpg locally. I've not seen any difference in mileage or performance, and I occasionally let the horses out of the barn and run her up to 75; have never heard any pinging and I passed a recent hearing test with flying colors. Hope this helps.