Sunroof Issues

Hey guys, I know there are a ton of posts for people with sunroof issues, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for so here goes:

97 ES300, is it normal for the sunroof to have 3 'phases' or 'stages' of being open? If I hit the open button once (one touch), it opens to about half-wayish. Then I have to hit the button again to go to stage 2, then one more time for it to be fully open. Same happens when closing, too. Is that normal, or is there a reason for it to be 50%, 75%, 100% open? I would prefer it to just be one-touch all the way open, one hold-button close. I haven't tried normalizing it or whatever yet, so that might just be the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Its been years since my wife had her 97 ES, but I seem to recall that it was several pushes of the button to open the sunroof entirely, and likewise on closing to prevent someone's hand from getting trapped. Her 04 ES has a couple of pushes necessary before fully open, and the same on closing. I don't recall anything in the manual allowing for a different programming other than already discussed, but it is possible to use the remote to fully lower all of the windows and fully open the sunroof all at the same time. I'm sure that wasn't possible on the 97.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping somebody would have a similar story or an explanation. Or a quick fix, ideally. I tried messing with it and tried different combos of pressing the open and close buttons, but I got nothin'.

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping somebody would have a similar story or an explanation. Or a quick fix, ideally. I tried messing with it and tried different combos of pressing the open and close buttons, but I got nothin'.

Yea, I have to deal with that too on my 97' ES. =T