Ls400 Power Steering Noise...

lsguy

Hey everyone,

I recently had to replace my alternator on my 1990 ls400 due to the common leaking power steering pump. I decided to do it properly and replace both items at the same time. I bought an overhauled power steering pump as it was far cheaper than a new one. I followed the lexls.com guide to a T including fluid flushing/bleeding and rack solenoid screen cleaning (very plugged) and have now been driving the car for about a week. When the car is turned on from cold, there is a slight steering pump noise but not really a big deal. I notice that as the fluid temp rises, the pump starts to make a lot of noise (worse than a ford) and at low speeds, it is quite difficult to turn the wheels unless raising the engine speed a bit. I have checked for air in the system and there is none and no foaming is present. I did also remove the Air Control Valve and plug the hole as many forums say this valve causes more problems than it is worth and also the SC400 didn't even bother to use it and runs the same pump. The fluid that was in the system before was completely clear and when I first bought the car the Lexus dealership gave me Johnsen's Power Steering Fluid which is also completely clear. After reading the manual and all the forums, I flushed and put red Dexron ii/iii atf fluid in the system. I am just wondering if anybody has some words of wisdom on what the problem could be. I doubt that it is the fluid as this is what even the Toyota/Lexus manual says to use. The pump could be suspect, but at low temperatures, it works/sounds/and feels fine. The next thing that I will change is the Flow Control Valve. Seeing as the previous pump was working fine other than leaking, I will put the old flow control valve into the new pump and see what happens. Also, can anybody tell me at what temperature the power steering fluid should be once warmed up. I can't even put my hand on the reservoir it gets so hot. Is that normal? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. if anybody is ever changing their alternator due to this problem, 9 times out of 10 it will just be burned brushes and possibly the voltage regulator shorted. These 2 items can very easily and cheaply be replaced (under $50 for both) instead of several hundred for a rebuilt and $800 for a new Lexus one. The alternator comes apart very easily ( and would just require a cleaning, quick check of the bearing, new brushes and voltage regulator then slap it back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my power steering problem. Turns out, the replacement pump that I bought was faulty. I got a new one, put it in, and everything works and sounds perfect now. Both pumps were Fenco rebuilds. I don't think that i'd ever go with this company ever again. The quality of the rebuilds are terrible!!! It seems like they just paint over everything without cleaning. Also, the mesh filter inside the reservoir of the last one was missing half of it, and it didn't come with any of the o-rings that it said were meant to come with it. Just overall very cheaply done. Anyway, its working for now so i'll go with it. Good luck!

Just an update on my power steering problem. Turns out, the replacement pump that I bought was faulty. I got a new one, put it in, and everything works and sounds perfect now. Both pumps were Fenco rebuilds. I don't think that i'd ever go with this company ever again. The quality of the rebuilds are terrible!!! It seems like they just paint over everything without cleaning. Also, the mesh filter inside the reservoir of the last one was missing half of it. Also, it didn't come with any of the o-rings that it said were meant to come with it. Just overall very cheaply done. Anyway, its working for now so i'll go with it. Good luck!

sweet, where did you get the Fenco? Local parts store or online? why not a new one, what was the cost difference.

James

Just an update on my power steering problem. Turns out, the replacement pump that I bought was faulty. I got a new one, put it in, and everything works and sounds perfect now. Both pumps were Fenco rebuilds. I don't think that i'd ever go with this company ever again. The quality of the rebuilds are terrible!!! It seems like they just paint over everything without cleaning. Also, the mesh filter inside the reservoir of the last one was missing half of it. Also, it didn't come with any of the o-rings that it said were meant to come with it. Just overall very cheaply done. Anyway, its working for now so i'll go with it. Good luck!

sweet, where did you get the Fenco? Local parts store or online? why not a new one, what was the cost difference.

James

I got the Fenco at the local parts store. The price difference was $160 compared to $780 from Lexus. I thought i'd take the risk. After all the hassle, i'm not sure it was worth it. Live and learn. :)

you didn't happen to get a price on the flow control valve did you?

No, I didn't bother. I took the one out of my old pump and put it in the new one. No difference. I read in my Lexus shop manual that you have to be carefull doing that. They are classed for size with a letter stamp during manufacture on the pump housing and on the valve.

post-93897-1243471296_thumb.jpg