Replace 96 Ls400 Starter

latintxn54

HELP!!!! I am in the middle of replacing the starter on my '96 Lexus LS and I'm stuck. I've been successful at removing all the parts to get to the starter but I've come across 1 last major obstacle before unbolting the starter.

I am trying to remove & lift the Rear Water Bypass Joint out of the way but the Engine Wire Protector is in the way.

Has anyone encountered this situation before?

I was successful at removing the 2 12mm nuts that hold the EGR #1 pipe to the exhaust pipe along with all the other hoses that connect to the Rear Water Bypass Joint and everything is now loose but I do not have enough clearance to lift the Rear Water Bypass Joint up and out. The Engine Wire Protecter is in the way..

I'm certain some of you experienced DIY'ers have been down this road before so if you've got the tip that'll help me get past this, I will forever be indebted to you.

This is the only item left before I can move forward with removing & replacing the starter.

ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated. HAVE A GREAT DAY!! V. Gonzalez 281-546-4951

I have just done the same job on my 1994 and had the same problem.

I hope the 1995 is similar

If you look at the rear of the plastic loom enclosure above the bypass ( where the 2 heater pipes are) you will see 2 10mm bolts holding the plastic enclosure in place, remove these ( fiddly job don't drop them use either a magnet or put some blue tack adhesive in the socket) and then the other 2 10mm bolts futher along the plastic enclosure on the drivers side of the engine ( I assume this is the same on LHD models).

This will allow you with a lot of effort to lift up the plastic wire cover enough to get the bypass off the studs ( why they didn't use bolts instead is a mystery).

I really had to force mine to remove it and getting it back is no easier.

If you haven't fully drained the coolant plug all the inlets with plenty of rags before removing the bypass as coolant will come out and disappear into the inlets/valves/cylinders if you don't.

If you look at the picture below the bolts are at the back near the black heater hoses,(one to each side of the centre loom in the picture) and the other 2 bolts are to the right of these.

post-26370-1242071788_thumb.jpg

Steve2006, Thanks!

I will certainly try this when I get back on the car tonight. And you detail exactly the problem i am having. Although your vehicle is slightly different than my '96, i am struggling to lift the water outlet unit up & out.

And again you're correct on why in the world would Lexus not use bolts instead of the 4 nuts but then again, why the he(_@)# didn't they simply design the starter to be outside the engine. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??!!

Again, thanks for taking the time to read & reply..

Victor Gonzalez

And again you're correct on why in the world would Lexus not use bolts instead of the 4 nuts but then again, why the he(_@)# didn't they simply design the starter to be outside the engine. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??!!

More $ for the dealer when it went out. Problem is now, alot of owners that own older LS400s now are not wealthy enough to pay $$$ to get these replaced... or at least I cant. If (when) mine goes out, I honestly dont know what I would do. Seriously thinking of selling it. You about have to be wealthy enough to have bought the car nearly new as to maintain it when old. ;)

Victor, I really hope you can do it the right way (remove starter), I cheated and left it in......

Link

If you read past my posts, I believe someone said they got to the lower egr pipe by coming up from below.

Wow, I didn't realize it was in the valley! On the 4.4 in the Bimmers that area is a coolant pipe going from the front of the engine to the back and in between and kind of around is coolant.

Good luck with the rest of the job. The starter on my dads had to be 'fixed' a lot because the people doing it didn't know how.