Rx330 Accident, Rear Windshield Question

So today..our 06' RX that was shipped from the States...was hit today by a moped in Taiwan...

thankfully the rider was not seriously hurt (although I'd suspect a concussion with the impact force and the lack of a full face helmet)... the car was parked and with no-one was inside...

anyways, the question is.. I thought modern auto glass is not supposed to shatter like this (sharp edges)? looks pretty dangerous to me...

looks like an expensive fix... :unsure

1.png:

So today..our 06' RX that was shipped from the States...was hit today by a moped in Taiwan...

thankfully the rider was not seriously hurt (although I'd suspect a concussion with the impact force and the lack of a full face helmet)... the car was parked and with no-one was inside...

anyways, the question is.. I thought modern auto glass is not supposed to shatter like this (sharp edges)? looks pretty dangerous to me...

1.png:

The glass did exactly what it is designed to do, break into small pieces. It is called tempered glass. All of your windows are the same way, except for the windshield. That is by law required to be "safety laminated glass" (in the U.S. anyway, there used to be countries that allowed glass similar to your rear glass to be used in the windshield) The tempered glass like your rear window will shatter into a million pieces and you may get lots of tiny cuts or "nicks", but you can't get seriously cut with it. It is actually very strong glass and has to be hit just right to break. He obviously hit it just right. :o

1.png:

The glass did exactly what it is designed to do, break into small pieces. It is called tempered glass. All of your windows are the same way, except for the windshield. That is by law required to be "safety laminated glass" (in the U.S. anyway, there used to be countries that allowed glass similar to your rear glass to be used in the windshield) The tempered glass like your rear window will shatter into a million pieces and you may get lots of tiny cuts or "nicks", but you can't get seriously cut with it. It is actually very strong glass and has to be hit just right to break. He obviously hit it just right. :o

oh ok, thanks for the great explanation.. yeah i never knew that a human head could break glass that thick..but apparently it's possible...i guess i was thinking that the rear windshield would be the laminated glass as well.. but as you mentioned... do only as much as the law says right?

hmmm afraid to see the quote now...gonna be heck expensive...

My cousin as an 07 rx350. Right after she purchased the car, she accidentally shut her garage door, but the car wasn't in all the way. The door came down right on the rear window, and did exactly what you see in that picture. TONS of little-little pieces.

I think the repair was ~$800 but i could be wrong... Remember the heating elements (defrosters) which need to be hooked up correctly etc. Make sure they work before leaving the auto body shop :)

My cousin as an 07 rx350. Right after she purchased the car, she accidentally shut her garage door, but the car wasn't in all the way. The door came down right on the rear window, and did exactly what you see in that picture. TONS of little-little pieces.

I think the repair was ~$800 but i could be wrong... Remember the heating elements (defrosters) which need to be hooked up correctly etc. Make sure they work before leaving the auto body shop :)

thanks for the info! I'll make sure they get those connected.. and the rear wipers are badly damaged too... and the rear bumper..and the tailgate...man, who would've known a 50c.c. scooter could do that much damage?

• 4 years later...