Knock Sensor Went Bad

Hey Guys I'm back again!! Okay I got my power steering hose on and its working like a charm! but we pulled the check engine lightwe were talking about last time and it turns our it is the knocking sensor!! My mechanic said he don't know if its a really big problem but I don't know thats why I can tothe forum.. Is this a really big problem that I should fix right away? He also said When I replace them I will have to buy two, Is this true

What's the code? Chances are that the problem could very well be wiring. The ECM cannot tell distingush between a bad sensor, or a bad wire. When you get a code, you should follow steps to narrow down why the code was set. Do not assume that since you got a knock sensor code, that the knock sensor is bad. Your mechanic should be trying to narrow the problem down.

Ps, when the code is active, the ECM will !Removed! the timming to protect the engine from detonition. You should notice a signficant reduction in power when the timming is retarded. So while it is active, there should be no danger of harming the engine, you should notice the car has much less power than normal.

What's the code? Chances are that the problem could very well be wiring. The ECM cannot tell distingush between a bad sensor, or a bad wire. When you get a code, you should follow steps to narrow down why the code was set. Do not assume that since you got a knock sensor code, that the knock sensor is bad. Your mechanic should be trying to narrow the problem down.

Ps, when the code is active, the ECM will !Removed! the timming to protect the engine from detonition. You should notice a signficant reduction in power when the timming is retarded. So while it is active, there should be no danger of harming the engine, you should notice the car has much less power than normal.

okay thanks I did notice that and I will take it to another mechanic and let him check it out because I think its the wire too!!! SO you think thats a good idea

okay thanks I did notice that and I will take it to another mechanic and let him check it out because I think its the wire too!!! SO you think thats a good idea

and is checking this wire a do your self job or I need to have a mechanc check it??!

Well you can always start with a good visual. Over the years the clips that hold the harness in place tend to break, also some mechanics do not reconect all of them after working on a car. The end result is that the harness will now rest in spots where it was not designed to. Closely inspect the bottom side of the harness, pay close attention at any spot where it is resting on a metal part. Especially a sharp metal part. You will find that a good protion of the time the problem is in the wiring, not the sensor.

Well you can always start with a good visual. Over the years the clips that hold the harness in place tend to break, also some mechanics do not reconect all of them after working on a car. The end result is that the harness will now rest in spots where it was not designed to. Closely inspect the bottom side of the harness, pay close attention at any spot where it is resting on a metal part. Especially a sharp metal part. You will find that a good protion of the time the problem is in the wiring, not the sensor.

Ok George I sure do appreciate your help buddy but where do I look at I'm new to engines lol but love the LExus Club

The knock sensors are located between the cylinder banks, the cable comes around the driver side, then between the cylinders, but you should take the time and check the whole harness, it's shouldn't take more than 30 min to check it.

[/quotebank

lol what is a cylinder bank

• 2 weeks later...
Are you serious? If so it may be a good idea to pick up a Hayes manual, it is probably a little too much to be going into that much depth in this type of forum.

ok ok where do you get that Hayes Cylinder from?