Is T-iv The Correct Atf For My Car?

That is the correct fluid. That is also the correct amount assuming you are doing a simple drain and fill.

How is it shifting differently?

steviej

It just seems to be firmmer. and it did a little buck and jerk.Today it seems a little better, but it is raining so it might have been me...and yes it was just a drain and fill.

I was suprised to read on the dipstick that under normal driving conditions the servicing the transmission was not required..Well after 98,000 miles i think that a drain and fill wouldn't hurt anything. next time I'll use AMS-OIL and see if thats better..

That is the correct fluid. That is also the correct amount assuming you are doing a simple drain and fill.

steviej

It just seems to be firmmer. and it did a little buck and jerk.Today it seems a little better, but it is raining so it might have been me...and yes it was just a drain and fill.

I was suprised to read on the dipstick that under normal driving conditions the servicing the transmission was not required..Well after 98,000 miles i think that a drain and fill wouldn't hurt anything. next time I'll use AMS-OIL and see if thats better..

I would stick with the TIV. I used to do a drain and fill every 15k miles on my 02 ES. Did you ever have the ECU flashed for the tranny issue? (See the big pinned thread at the top of the forum)? Did you look at the fluid that was drained....what did it look like......cherry red and sweep smelling or brown and burnt smelling?

steviej

steviej

I would stick with the TIV. I used to do a drain and fill every 15k miles on my 02 ES. Did you ever have the ECU flashed for the tranny issue? (See the big pinned thread at the top of the forum)? Did you look at the fluid that was drained....what did it look like......cherry red and sweep smelling or brown and burnt smelling?

steviej

I just got the car a few months ago and I don't think the tranny ECU was ever flashed, when I checked the fluid before I drained it, it had a slight odor and just a tad bit burnt nothing bad but I do think it was its' first service..Today all was good although it did take a extra second or so to go unto last gear, once.. The closest dealer is about 200 miles away so Its not like I can run around the corner and bother them with questions...

As easy, quick and easy as a DIY drain and fill is, there is a down side. The drain and fill only replaces about 1/4 of the total volume of fluid in the tranny.

Hence the reason why I said stick with what is in there, T-IV. Doing it with Amsoil will only give you a 25% mix at best of new Amsoil.

The bad odor and discolored fluid concerns me. If a total flush has never been done, and drain and fills were rarely done, then here is an alternative you might want to consider. Many users have done this and reported good results. Perform a simple tranny drain and fill every 750 to 1000 miles over the next few months. After four or five of them the majority of the fluid will be new.

I know that on my ES (pre and post flash), I drain and filled every 15k miles and at 108k the fluid was still coming our cherry red and sweet smelling.

hope this helps.

steviej

I drain and fill once a year (2 quarts) If the lex needs it or not, I also have an inline filter and tranny cooler ;) Makes a huge difference, The fluid runs pink and like new of course............... It is worth the $12.00 If you think it is a waste I will save it for you and you can pick it up :lol: