My Car Is Overheating

Ok so I read over this entire post. My car is doing the same as yours. But I had a shade tree mechanic fix the issue. He replaced my radiator and couldn't figure out how the hydralic fan worked. So he rigged another fan to the radiator. Then he later took out the thermostat. My issue is a little more. When he changed all this my powersteering fluid started leaking. Not sure from where but it leaks and squeaks. It has to be refilled almost as often as I get gas. So I have issues with the fluid leaking and the overheating issue is still there. Today, it started smoking from the rear of the engine (part closest to the car). Its more of a something is leaking on something hot back there. Any ideas on what I need to tell my guy to do to fix this? Oh and he disconnected the other fan for whatever reason.

Sounds BAD, So are you saying that this shade tree mechanic removed the original fan motor, and installed a electric fan??

So at that point did he just pull the oil lines to the fan off? And I assume that you mean the rear of the engine, (bank 1 next to the firewall)?

Then chances are that you have toasted you power steering pump, I would find another mechanic cause the fan control is not that hard to figure out. You then have to either convert to a single stage power steering pump, and then verify that the electric fan is 1) large enough for this car. 2) wired correctly

Or replace everything and get it to work as designed, (which is what I would do if this was my car).

• 2 weeks later...