Oil Change Time

vroom8

:D hey- does anyone else have super clean oil after 3000mi?

this is the second time i have noticed this....crystal clean oil, like i just changed it a few miles ago.

should be sort of brown/black after 3000 miles of dirty driving...feels like it has just been changed too.

not complaining, but is this odd?

all of my other vehicles have filthy oil after 3000mi/ jet black.

doesn't burn a drop either.

(burns everything else tho)!! :lol::rolleyes: ;)

Yep, I can relate. My 1991 LS400 is the exact same way. I normally change it at 3000, but there have been a couple of times I have went by the dealers recommendation and let it go to 5000 miles, because at 3000 miles, it still looks almost like new. Other cars I have had in the past, the oil is black after about 1000-2000 miles. <_< My Mercedes keeps really nice looking oil as well. Also, my LS dont burn any oil and the only leaks are seeps at the valve cover gaskets, but the oil stays full between changes.

All of this and my car has nearly 220K miles and the oil stays so clean... my 1990 LS400 was the same way and it had 260K miles. Guess its a Lexus V8 thing? :huh: ;)

:D hey- does anyone else have super clean oil after 3000mi?

this is the second time i have noticed this....crystal clean oil, like i just changed it a few miles ago.

should be sort of brown/black after 3000 miles of dirty driving...feels like it has just been changed too.

not complaining, but is this odd?

all of my other vehicles have filthy oil after 3000mi/ jet black.

doesn't burn a drop either.

(burns everything else tho)!! :lol::rolleyes: ;)

I run synthetic blend in my 97 with 215K for 5000 miles, looks pretty good even after all that. Could probably take it out to 7500.

The 3K mile oil change isn't required anymore if you ask me. Engines these days are plenty efficient and clean.

Tight tolerances and a well sealed Lubricating system. the results speak for themselves on these well thought out and well engineered Drivetrains.

I have rebuilt a few engines in my lifetime, and im here to tell you that most engines ive rebuilt only made it to the 90k to 150k mark and the compression is totally gone...and its usually the older american or even domestic engines.

after breaking into the Toyota/Lexus V8, checking compression at 180k - only 2% - 5% drop still well within the compression limits - i am blown away at the tight tolerances these motors were built...from the factory. my oil stays clear after 5k as well.

usually loss of compression is part of what gives oil that black color, among other reasons, it seeps into the combustion chamber past the worn rings, gets toasted, then comressed back into the lubrication process, this happens usually when the motor drops below 15% of the minimum compression spec.

These cars are easily capable of going 5k before changing the oil...i would say 7.5k is pushing it, but more for heavy footers. if your light-footed, this should be a fine interval.

Cheers to the Lexus engineers!!

:cheers:

wonder if they knew these cars would go this long with so few problems??

3,000mi intervals are wayyy too soon for these cars. Save yourself a little money.

I do Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 every 5k

I change my oil every 7K miles using Mobile 1 full Synthetic 5w-30. Just start turning brown at that point. Its not even black though.

Tight tolerances and a well sealed Lubricating system. the results speak for themselves on these well thought out and well engineered Drivetrains.

I have rebuilt a few engines in my lifetime, and im here to tell you that most engines ive rebuilt only made it to the 90k to 150k mark and the compression is totally gone...and its usually the older american or even domestic engines.

after breaking into the Toyota/Lexus V8, checking compression at 180k - only 2% - 5% drop still well within the compression limits - i am blown away at the tight tolerances these motors were built...from the factory. my oil stays clear after 5k as well.

usually loss of compression is part of what gives oil that black color, among other reasons, it seeps into the combustion chamber past the worn rings, gets toasted, then comressed back into the lubrication process, this happens usually when the motor drops below 15% of the minimum compression spec.

These cars are easily capable of going 5k before changing the oil...i would say 7.5k is pushing it, but more for heavy footers. if your light-footed, this should be a fine interval.

Cheers to the Lexus engineers!!

:cheers:

wonder if they knew these cars would go this long with so few problems??

Fabulous!-- here I was changing every 3000K...nice to know I can go at least 5000K !! Interesting to know why the oil gets so black.

Yes, these engines are exceptional....

The 3K mile oil change isn't required anymore if you ask me.

To my knowledge, nobody but oil companies and quickie lube places have ever recommended 3,000 mile oil change intervals. My personal opinion is that 3,000 mile oil change intervals are a waste of money and resources.

My Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement specifies either 5,000 (typical short trip, stop n go driving, or "special conditions), or 7,500 if you drive distances greater than 5 miles and in temperatures under 90 degrees.

For those commenting on the color of your used oil, the color means nothing. If you really want to see how well your oil is holding up, send a sample in for a used oil analysis to Blackstone Labs.

The 3K mile oil change isn't required anymore if you ask me.

To my knowledge, nobody but oil companies and quickie lube places have ever recommended 3,000 mile oil change intervals. My personal opinion is that 3,000 mile oil change intervals are a waste of money and resources.

My Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement specifies either 5,000 (typical short trip, stop n go driving, or "special conditions), or 7,500 if you drive distances greater than 5 miles and in temperatures under 90 degrees.

For those commenting on the color of your used oil, the color means nothing. If you really want to see how well your oil is holding up, send a sample in for a used oil analysis to Blackstone Labs.

fleets use oil analysis to dermine oil change intervals, but for the average motorist, oil analysis is too expensive and inconvenient. The cost of the oil analysis is almost as much or more as an oil change...

22.50 charge from Blackstone labs....

...and the color of the oil does have some signifigance, if its still clear after many miles, you have a very efficient running engine that does not have carbon/sludge/ash/metal buildup...however your additives life in the oil could be depleted and the oil still be clean. thats why its good to change the oil at least at 5k.

but if your oil darkens right away after a couple hundred miles of driving, but your car doesnt smoke or it doesnt have an oil leak, and your oil filter up to date, the darker color is usually remnants of the old oil and carbon molecules - no harm done.

also, here is an API rating guide you's motorheads can use.. B)

API_ratings.pdf

a UOA will tell you a lot.

The oil could be black but still as good as new.

It doesn't just turn black from being "dirty" but from heat as well. (Last time I checked, engines got hot :lol:)

You could probably safely go 10k miles on these engines..

But 7,500k is even too much for me lol.

I know it's just in my mind, but I still like changing it around 5k.

fleets use oil analysis to dermine oil change intervals, but for the average motorist, oil analysis is too expensive and inconvenient. The cost of the oil analysis is almost as much or more as an oil change...

22.50 charge from Blackstone labs....

Which is exactly why I didn't say that you HAVE to have a used oil analysis done. The vast majority of people do.....and should.....follow the oil change intervals as prescribed by Lexus in the owner's manual. For those who think they either need to change the oil more or less frequently than Lexus recommends, used oil analyses can let you know for certain what your interval should be. Personally, I see absolutely no reason to change oil more frequently than what Lexus recommends, especially without any factual evidence of the need to do so.

In the case of someone who is performing synthetic oil changes every 3,000 miles, there will likely be a cost benefit to having a used oil analysis done. It would in all likelihood show you that you can easily go 5,000, 7,500, or maybe more miles in between oil changes. Given that the cost of a used oil analysis is less than the cost of 5 quarts of synthetic oil, if the result is stretching intervals out twice as long, there would definitely be a savings.