Lost Key

RX2002

www.sewellpartsonline.com

Be careful with eBay, I've heard stories of people buying used keys on eBay and then not being able to reprogram them properly to start their cars, you have to buy the right key for the right model, a key from an ES for instance won't always start an RX. Then you have to get them recut for your car...

Sewell has them for like $170 and they come precut to your car and they're brand new. Thats the way I would go.

Yeah, make sure it's an Rx300 remote. Although the LX key looks almost the same (with the separate red panic button), it won't work.

Needs to be from an Rx300. You can differentiate the Rx300 key from the LX key because the LS key has a label below the emblem whereas the Rx has the fcc id engraved below the emblem. Also, the unlock on the Rx300 has an arrow whereas the LS is plain.

Any Rx300 remote can be reprogrammed to another Rx300 with a few steps. You can do it yourself actually, no need for the dealer. And you can get a local locksmith to cut you a new blade, most charge $25-50.

I'm not quite sure about this, but I BELIEVE that when you order a new remote/key from your Lexus dealer, you are using one of your 5 alloted spare keys. This means that for every unit (based on the VIN) that certain unit/car is allowed 5 spare keys in it's lifetime regardless if you are the original legitimate owner.

As I said, I'm not sure how true this information is, but I remember reading something like that when I got my Toyota 4Runner brand new a few years back so I presume the same goes for most, if not all, Lexus vehicles.

Nope, you can have a total of 4 master remotes programmed at one time.

Let's say you had 4 master remotes programmed right now. If you tried to program another key, the first key you ever programmed would no longer work, and this new one would basically take it's place.

Works good if you loose a key and don't want anyone else to use it. Just program 4 more keys and the one they have will no longer work on the car.

You can try it yourself. Program 4 keys. Then program another one. You'll find the first key you programmed will no longer work but the new key will :) It's pretty cool, learned this from experience.

:( Does any have any info on replacing a lost remote key for a 2004 RX330 in Las Vegas besides the dealer

hey i acutally had the same problem if u still have at least one master key then u can go on ebay and find a key made by sparco i think it is but its like 30 bucks a key and it works as a master, but its just the key no unlock button or anything like that, just a basic key with transmitter inside

Yes and No. I just read through both the GX and the 4Runner manual and I'm not sure when Toyota initiated their key limit. The 03s didn't have the key limit, so cduluk yes you are correct. The 06s and newer, and possibly 04-05s, have a key limit that the dealer may program based on the VIN number. Lose a key with a newer Toyota/Lexus model, and that's one less replacement key that's available for you or the next owner down the road. I couldn't find in the manual that there's a limit of 5 replacement keys you are entitled to have for every VIN number but for sure I probably have asked the dealer regarding that.

That's so stupid! lol Why would they design the newer ones like that?

My guess, they want you to lose them so they can charge you $$$ to have the whole system replaced...

Yes and No. I just read through both the GX and the 4Runner manual and I'm not sure when Toyota initiated their key limit. The 03s didn't have the key limit, so cduluk yes you are correct. The 06s and newer, and possibly 04-05s, have a key limit that the dealer may program based on the VIN number. Lose a key with a newer Toyota/Lexus model, and that's one less replacement key that's available for you or the next owner down the road. I couldn't find in the manual that there's a limit of 5 replacement keys you are entitled to have for every VIN number but for sure I probably have asked the dealer regarding that.

Based on previous posts, I thought that the limit was related to the number of programmed keys that will work, not a 'lifetime supply'. When a new key exceeding the limit (number) is programmed, I thought it just 'knocked off' the first key previously programmed etc...

Read your manuals and see. Who knows maybe it could only be a Toyota thing because I read that in my 2006 4Runner manual.

As for my 4Runner, if I run out of the key limit for this particular vehicle, either I have to sell or trash the vehicle and get a new one. It's for security purposes I guess so when the car gets sold many times down the road, not 20 different owners will have a key to that particular unit.

And when the limit exceeds, that's it. No way around it since you need to buy a key from the dealer because they're the ones who can program the immobilizer for your car