Hid Headlight Replacement

Russ White

The passenger side HID Low Beam was not working. I decided I would remove it and if not obviously bad, install it in the driver's side to make sure the bulb was bad and not the ballast. I removed one bolt holding the fill spout for the windshield washer resivoir and then removed the fill spout. To gain a little more access I removed a push in clip holding a electrical cable bundle near the back of the lamp assembly. I then removed the cover over the back of the HID Low Beam by turning counter clockiwise when viewed from the rear. You will then see the shiny braided shield of the high voltage cable going to the back of the HID bulb. There are two clips that must be pushed down and out and then pulled out from between the black base of the bulb and the silver metal of the bulb socket. The clip assembly can then be rotated back clearing the bulb and socket for removal from the reflector. Work slowly and carefully so as not to break the bulb when you remove it from the reflector. Once removed, the bulb base must be pressed down into the socket and then rotated to free the bulb from the socket. Be sure to note exactly how the bulb was oriented in the socket so the replacement is installed in the same orientation. In my case, the bulb was obviously bad and I put the new one in and reversed the steps to finish the job. The bulbs are super expensive so be careful. I paid about $150 and was lucky to find one in stock at Advance Auto. Good Luck! Russ