Is There Anybody Check And Adjust Valve Clearance?

Running Ox

Yes, it is true. Toyota and Lexus engines almost never need a valve adjustment. You just gotta love modern technology.

I didn't know they EVER needed adjustment, except if broken. I assumed that they were hydraulically adjusted (vs. (e.g.) shims) automatically, like most if not all modern engines for the public?

Yes, it is true. Toyota and Lexus engines almost never need a valve adjustment. You just gotta love modern technology.

I didn't know they EVER needed adjustment, except if broken. I assumed that they were hydraulically adjusted (vs. (e.g.) shims) automatically, like most if not all modern engines for the public?

No, they have shims.

No, they have shims.

OK - Thanks!

by the way I have 162k miles, never adjusted the valves and the engine is just fine. my next door neighbor with the sludged engine which we rebuilt did adjust 2 valves with the shims....They were loose, I told him loose is OK, tight is when there is a problem, but bless him he did it right. Here is a picture of shim on the 1mze engine....

post-12820-1239114878_thumb.jpg

by the way I have 162k miles, never adjusted the valves and the engine is just fine. my next door neighbor with the sludged engine which we rebuilt did adjust 2 valves with the shims....They were loose, I told him loose is OK, tight is when there is a problem, but bless him he did it right. Here is a picture of shim on the 1mze engine....

Lenore, For the life of me, I may be as blind as a bat but I have looked and looked and can't see where the shim is in that picture. Clue me in. Thanks!

Lenore, For the life of me, I may be as blind as a bat but I have looked and looked and can't see where the shim is in that picture. Clue me in. Thanks!

the is a cup on top of the valve lifter that accepts the disk. There is a special tool that pushes that valve lifter down so that different size shims can be inserted. what you are seeing is the cam lobe with the lifter below it which retains the shims with a very small lip on top.

the is a cup on top of the valve lifter that accepts the disk. There is a special tool that pushes that valve lifter down so that different size shims can be inserted. what you are seeing is the cam lobe with the lifter below it which retains the shims with a very small lip on top.

Now I understand Lenore. I understand why I couldn't see it. :blink: