Brakes Grinding, 2001 Es300

flanso

On hard stops, just before the car comes to a stop, I can feel a very subtle grinding. It is similar to what is felt when a brake pad has worn through and the pad's metal backing has just begun to rub on the rotor. Today I removed the pads from all wheels and found them all to be evenly worn with at least 3/8" of material left on each. The rotors are smooth and only slightly worn. The car has 98k miles and I replaced the pads a couple of years ago with original equipment ones from Lexus. Any suggestions where the subtle grinding might be originating?

my friend, i don't think you are looking at the brake pads correctly. you said 3/8". it is probably the entire thickness of the pad. however, you should be looking at just the useful part of the pad which is the grinding surface. if it's 2mm or less, time to replace. post of pictures of your brake pads here, we can give you better ideas.

did you check the brake clips?

I'm having this issue too. My car is a daily driver, I replaced all four pads about two months ago. Every once in a while it will grind to a stop. And they squeak like hell every time I apply the brakes.

I've taken it back to Lexus, only to have them take the brakes apart and tell me there's nothing wrong.

What kind of pads are you running? Some semi-metallic tend to kind of "bite" at the last bit of a stop... they also have a tendency to squeal like mad!! I believe ceramic pads are standard equipment on most JDM vehicles. I have ceramic pads on both our Lexus vehicles and they stop smooth, clean, and quiet.

The replacement pads are originals from Lexus. The vibration absorbing layers on the back of the pads are intact as are the the metal shims over that material and the wear clips. Since my original post was made, I have removed all the pads and thoroughly inspected the calipers and pads. They're in great condition. I also looked for a slight groove on any of the rotors thinking a stone might have wedged between the pad and rotor but found none. I've not driven much since the disassembly but I'll post the results when I determine if the grinding is still there. I appreciate the advice that has been posted.

The replacement pads are originals from Lexus. The vibration absorbing layers on the back of the pads are intact as are the the metal shims over that material and the wear clips. Since my original post was made, I have removed all the pads and thoroughly inspected the calipers and pads. They're in great condition. I also looked for a slight groove on any of the rotors thinking a stone might have wedged between the pad and rotor but found none. I've not driven much since the disassembly but I'll post the results when I determine if the grinding is still there. I appreciate the advice that has been posted.

did you lubricate the caliber pins? i did my front brakes 2 wks ago because i heard one of the wear clips was making noise. the left inner pad had about 1mm left while the other three pads were about half way wore out. the caliper pins were bone dried, so i lubricated them w/brake grease. i then recall the guy did my front brakes 2 years ago used WD40 rather than brake grease to lubricate the pins and that became bone dried after a while cause the caliber not to completely release the pads after stopping. that also made my car pulling to the left. now the pulling to the left problem is gone with new pads and pins lubricated. just don't know why that idiot lubricated the pins w/WD40 not brake grease.