New Wheels/tires And Tpms

so i just got my new wheels and tires installed over the weekend...this included a new set of TPMS sensors. the car has not alarmed about tire pressure, even though these sensors haven't been paired with the ECU yet. i expected the car to alarm at start up, etc due to the new sensors...i even checked to make sure the option was set to the 2nd set and reinitialized it.

do they not even alarm until the ECU recognizes the new sensors?

thanks-

so i just got my new wheels and tires installed over the weekend...this included a new set of TPMS sensors. the car has not alarmed about tire pressure, even though these sensors haven't been paired with the ECU yet. i expected the car to alarm at start up, etc due to the new sensors...i even checked to make sure the option was set to the 2nd set and reinitialized it.

thanks-

It takes about 20 minutes of driving for the alarm to go off. If your old set is near the car when you start it, they will be recognized.

the old set is not near (not even at my house) the vehicle....if it is 20 min of consecutive driving, then that might be it. it's been days, so that must be it. i'll just drive around a bit longer tonight to check.

thanks-

• 1 month later...

thanks-

Did you buy Lexus TPMS or you got the aftermarket TPMS (Tire Rack offers some)?

reporting back in...

eventually the system figured it out and now alarms constantly. lol

due to the weather and my short commute to work, it took a while before i drove the car long enough to get the system to report the sensor mismatch.

i purchased toyota/lexus TPMS...still haven't had them programmed. i will ask them to do it when i take the car in for the fuel line recall.

• 6 months later...

I've just had my snow tires put on at my local garage and the alarm went off after 25 minutes of driving - does this mean that a change of tires HAS to be done at a dealership?

Thanks.

reporting back in...

due to the weather and my short commute to work, it took a while before i drove the car long enough to get the system to report the sensor mismatch.

i purchased toyota/lexus TPMS...still haven't had them programmed. i will ask them to do it when i take the car in for the fuel line recall.

I've just had my snow tires put on at my local garage and the alarm went off after 25 minutes of driving - does this mean that a change of tires HAS to be done at a dealership?

Thanks.

reporting back in...

If the tires were put on the original rims with the original sensors then you should be ok. You might want to check and see if the tire PSI is within normal range. Also initialize the setting on your dash per the owners manual to make sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

reporting back in...

I'm gettin snowtires too. I talked to Lexus service/parts they said if I only change the tire and keep the rims/tpm the same then all I have to do is take it to Lexus and they will reprogram the TPM to match snowtire PSI for free.

If you change both tires and rims (without TPM) then you're going to get the "tire pressure" alert, where you have to take it in to Lexus for them to reprogram it still.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through the same thing and ended up purchasing snow tires, lexus wheels off craigslist, and Toyota TPMS on E-bay for my car. The car has to be programmed by a Lexus or Toyota dealership to the new sensors. The cost at Toyota was $72, Lexus was $100. I am writing a letter to the management of my dealership as well as corporate Toyota because it is ridiculous that that no one else can program the sensors. My local mechanic said he had the correct equipment, but it turns out that the aftermarket equipment can not do everything that the Toyota equipment can do, one of them being programming the vehicles computer to recognize the sensors. He charges $20. Toyota and Lexus sensors both should work.

Also note that the sensors are very difficult to take off of your rims, so simply transferring them to another set of wheels is at best a 50/50 chance, possibly causing them to break. It has something to do with the aluminum wheel fusing to the aluminum on the sensor, causing the sensor to break when trying to prying them off.

I personally am a bit upset that buying everything stock from Lexus would have cost $400 for the sensors, $1,200 for the wheels and $100 to program them, not to mention the tires. For us living in the north the second set of sensors should be included and programmed for no additional cost or at least done at a "reasonable fee", not simply the min. of "$115 per hour" labor rate or whatever smoke they want to blow up your tail pipe to rip you off.